Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe Red Glutinous Wine Lees

Hawaiian Baked Rice

Hawaiian Baked Rice
“Hawaiian” (pineapples and ham) baked rice with cheese … delicious & comforting

I hadn’t plan to make or post a baked rice recipe so soon after making sausage baked rice, but I had leftover pineapples and ham from making hawaiian pizza (recipe coming soon, stay tuned) and this seems like the perfect use of the leftover ingredients. Plus, baked rice is a family favourite which never fails to please. I consider baked rice in the “safe foods” category so I make it when I want to eat something good. Besides chicken & mushroom, broccoli-potato-sausage as well as sausage, this is another combination of ingredients that work well for baked rice. I’m not sure if this applies in other countries as well, but over here, it seems that as long as there are pineapples and ham in a dish, the eateries will name the dish as “hawaiian” in the menu. Cliché as it may be, pineapple & ham is a tried-and-tested and wonderful food pairing nevertheless.

Hawaiian Baked Rice
A whole tray of hawaiian baked rice … baked rice is wonderful party food

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
- 2 to 3 slices of ham, cut to small squares
- 15g butter (or use olive oil for healthier version)
- generous tablespoons mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s, straight from the can – no need to mix with water or cook)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Directions
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Wait for the rice mixture to cool, then transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the pineapples and sliced ham, saving some as toppings. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes (you can also use disposable aluminium tray) until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese followed by the rest of the pineapples and ham.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200C (392F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Hawaiian Baked Rice
Ok ignore the cocktail umbrella … I know it is a “cheesy” prop :P

Other baked rice recipes:
- Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
- Sausage Baked Rice
- Broccoli, Potato and Sausage Baked Rice

57 Responses to “Hawaiian Baked Rice”

1 2 3 4
  1. ravenouscouple — October 13, 2009 @ 1:04 am

that’s one of the best ways to cook–with left over ingredients as it forces you to be creative! Great recipe and love the umbrella garnish.

2. lisaiscooking — October 13, 2009 @ 4:00 am

Yes, here too. anything with pineapple and ham would be called ‘hawaiian.’ Your rice looks delicious! It looks like a perfect comfort food kind of meal.

3. tigerfish — October 13, 2009 @ 7:22 am

I’m also a sucker for ham+pineapples…
    and this rice goes well with steamed mussels….and can make Noobcook paella!

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:37 am

paella? I haven’t tried that b4 and it sounds interesting :D~

4. Selba — October 13, 2009 @ 10:16 am

Looks so scrumptious! It reminds me to hawaian pizza… yummmmm….

5. Little Inbox — October 13, 2009 @ 10:36 am

I can smell the aroma of cheese…hmm…

6. peachkins — October 13, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

One day, I’m goin’ to try these baked rice dish of yours. They all looked so good!

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:38 am

Hope you do try it out! Give me your feedback if you do ok :)

7. Mel @ bouchonfor2.com — October 13, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

I found you off Tastespotting. Your blog is SOOO cute and I love your vivid photos. This dish sounds super hearty too :)

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:44 am

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to find your blog too, lots of delicious eats :-)

8. cindy khor — October 13, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

baked rice has always been me and boyfriend’s favourite. am going to plan to cook this tomorrow or the day after. maybe i could try adding pineapple into it for a twist.

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:45 am

Hope you like it! Adding pineapples add sweetness to a dish :)

9. Ching — October 13, 2009 @ 11:07 pm

You are liking the baked rice with cheese eh? ;) I have been seeing the variation of baked rice from you. :D

• wiffy replied: — October 14th, 2009 @ 8:38 am

It’s a simple and satisfying one-dish meal. For the lazy cook in me. I also thought I’ve been cooking way too much baked rice lol ;)

10. Reeni — October 13, 2009 @ 11:49 pm

This looks delicious with the sweet and savory flavors! Baked rice is such a comforting dish – I love it!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Kepti ryžiai. « Spicecoat's Blog

2. Pingback: Hawaiian Pita Pizza (Ham & Cheese) | NoobCook.com

3. Pingback: Sausage Baked Rice with Cheese | NoobCook.com

4. Pingback: Broccoli, Potato & Sausage Baked Rice (Step by Step Photos) | NoobCook.com