Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Hay Bee Hiam (Spicy Dried Shrimps Sambal)

Hay Bee Hiam (Spicy Dried Shrimps Sambal) Recipe

Check Out: Sambal Long Beans Recipe

Spicy dried shrimps sambal or more commonly known locally as “hae bee hiam” (alternate spellings: hay bee hiam/hei bi hiam) is a popular condiment in Singapore and South East Asia. I use my base home-made sambal belacan (pictured below) and stir fry it with chopped dried shrimps, shallots and garlic. It is spicy, savoury and so addictive on its own with steamed white rice. It’s also commonly used in stir fries such as sambal long beans.

Sambal Belacan Recipe

18 Responses to “Hay Bee Hiam (Spicy Dried Shrimps Sambal)”

1. Anncoo — December 1, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Just yesterday I saw Busygran making Hae Bee Hiam and now you have this again. Really makes me drool… If I make I would like to make a bigger portion.

2. Christina — December 1, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

My mom will always cook this with petai. Very fragrant!!

3. TasteHongKong — December 2, 2010 @ 12:17 am

Great companion for stir-fries, congee, veggie … , just a versatile condiment.

4. mycookinghut — December 2, 2010 @ 3:34 am

yum!! I think I need to try this out.. craving for spicy stuff these days.. hehe

5. My Simple Food — December 2, 2010 @ 5:45 am

I love this. My grandma use to make it all the time. I have made it once before. You gave me the inspiration to make this. Thanks!!

6. masterofboots — December 2, 2010 @ 8:17 am

just when i was wondering about this childhood favourite dish :) time to make it myself

7. The Sudden Cook — December 2, 2010 @ 9:35 am

You could also use it as a filling to make some tasty puffs! Just buy frozen puff pastry (cut each sheet into four squares, place some filling in the middle of each square and fold over to form a triangle – pinch the sides and bake for 13-15 mins in pre-heated 200C oven!) VERY YUMS!

• wiffy replied: — December 3rd, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

I’m so going to try this! Thanks for sharing ^_^

8. Tastes of Home (Jen) — December 2, 2010 @ 11:36 am

yum yum! my mom actually pounds the dried shrimp & shallots into the belacan, usually she makes a huge portion and we just microwave it when we want to eat, I can just eat this with rice with nothing else haha.

thanks for the delicious reminder!

9. Lia Chen — December 2, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

I love this dish! The smells of belacan might be smells very strong in the house but totally worth it :)

10. Judy — December 2, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

Hae Bee Hiam goes well in sandwiches! I made this a few days ago but I don’t use belachan. But when I want to fry it with veggies, I simply add half a teaspoon of belachan to saute.

1. Pingback: Hei Bee Hiam (Dried Shrimps Sambal) « shirlyn's corner