Green Curry Pasta
One of the reasons why I love green curry is because not only is it nice enjoyed with white rice, it is also nice with pasta as a one-dish meal. I basically boil some pasta, arrange them on a plate, and ladle green curry over the pasta. The curry as you can see is slightly more soupy than the usual green curry – the way I like it, when having it with pasta. I went to Bangkok in February this year and stuffed myself silly with the yummy and affordable Thai food there. Even though it’s been three months, I still miss Thai food a lot. This is one of the dishes which I enjoyed in Bangkok and so I tried to recreate it at home.
Basic recipe for green curry from my eariler recipe
– 4 tbsp green curry paste (I use R.S.T brand I bought at Bangkok’s JatuJak Market)
– 1 stalk lemongrass, cut to 2-inch lengths, make cuts all over to release favour
– 2 kaffir lime leaves (dried or fresh)
– 300g boneless chicken fillet, cut to bite sized chunks (see cooking note 1 below)
– 150g frozen vegetables (I use assortment of frozen carrots, peas and long beans)
– 500ml water
– 100ml coconut milk
– 1 sprig of curry leaves
– 5 large prawns per person (head, shell and veins removed)
– 2 to 3 servings of pasta (I am using farfalle aka bow tie pasta here, about 80g per person)
– fish sauce (I used 2 tbsp)
– more green curry paste (if needed)
– chilli powder for spicier curry (optional)
– large red chilli, sliced
– basil leaves
Directions for Green Curry
1. In a heated wok or pan, dry fry the green curry paste, curry leaves, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass for one minute.
2. Add water and bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces. Lower the heat and simmer the chicken for about 10 minutes till they are cooked.
3. Add frozen vegetables and prawns, bring to a boil again and cook for 2 minutes. Lower the heat and add coconut milk and basil leaves till the leaves are wilted. Add seasonings to taste according to your preference.
1. In a large pot of water, add salt and bring water to a boil. Then cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions.
2. Drain pasta and arrange them in a deep serving plate. Ladle scoops of green curry and the ingredients over the pasta. Garnish with coriander, fresh basil and sliced chilli.