Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe

Green Bean Soup

Green Bean Soup

Note (Nov 2010): First posted in May 2008, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

This Chinese-style green bean soup is an easy Chinese soup dessert that is cooling and sweet, so suitable for the perpetual hot weather in Singapore. Green beans (or some call ‘mung beans’) are considered by Chinese as a ‘cooling’ food, and some believe it is a good natural alternative home remedy for acne.

See Also: Easy Chinese Desserts

I just love making this because it is so easy and tasty. The sago is optional, but I totally love the look and texture of sago in my green bean soup. Green bean soup is cooling, while red bean soup is warming. If you love both them both, do check out my easy red bean soup recipe.

Green Bean Soup

33 Responses to “Green Bean Soup”

1. My Wok Life — August 8, 2008 @ 9:20 am

Hi noobcook, I visited your greenbean soup today!

It’s cooked uniquely by adding orange peel. I have done that only for my red bean soup, not yet in green bean.

Thanks for the ideas!

2. Aunt LoLo — April 23, 2009 @ 3:56 am

Mmm…that looks so very tasty!! I’ve got a batch simmering on the stove…green beans and a piece of tangerine peel. Nummy!

3. Eileen — June 9, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Hi Noobcook, it’s the first time today i’m trying your recipe. Just wondering what would be the outcome if i add the sago directly into the green bean soup (at the end), instead of cooking separately & adding into the soup?

• wiffy replied: — June 9th, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Hi Eileen,
      I think if you add the sago directly, the soup will become gluey and starchy. Usually people cook the sago separately.

4. Huat — June 26, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Hi, just tried it a few weeks back at a friend’s gathering. Turned out nicely. Just wanna say thanks!. Loved the mixture of ingredients…

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

glad to hear that, thanks for your note :)

5. Pauline — May 29, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

I love sweet potato so I added some (yellow and orange variety) to this recipe to give it more bite and colour. My mother in-law cooks it this way too but minus the dried orange peel.

6. Elaine@chinasichuanfood.com — September 5, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Great! I also make the soup in cold summer. It really helps to reduce the heat. I like to put the soup in the refrigerator firstly or add some ice to make green bean ice drink. Amazing taste!

7. Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me! — September 5, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Never had it before and would lotory….

8. dolphing — September 6, 2012 @ 12:03 am

In your recipe, it should green bean instead of red bean :)

• wiffy replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 11:47 am

amended, thanks for letting me know :)

9. Juliana — September 6, 2012 @ 3:46 am

Oh! This is one of my husband favorites…I usually add barley instead of tapioca pearls…I will try this next time :)
    Have a wonderful week!

10. MaryMoh — September 6, 2012 @ 3:54 am

Ooooh…love this. It’s quite sometime I have not cooked it. Need to cook it again soon. My mom used to cook this for us when we were young. She always added some rice and a little ginger to it.