Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Ginseng Chicken Soup

Ginseng Chicken Soup
Ginseng Chicken Soup 洋参须鸡汤

This is the third and final installment of my cooking with ginseng series. After whipping up ginseng drinks and foil-wrapped ginseng chicken, how can I, a self-proclaimed lover of Chinese soups, not try making ginseng soup? ;p

Personally, this is my favourite way of cooking ginseng because the slow & gentle boiling really brings out its wonderful herby taste. This is the perfect soup for nourishing & rejuvenating oneself.

The type of ginseng I am using is known as American Ginseng “Beards”/ American Ginseng Fiber/ 洋参须 /Yang Shen Xu. For more information about this type of ginseng as well as where to purchase it (in Singapore), please refer to this post.

I love Chinese herbs but I didn’t want to add a tonne of different types to my soup (like this Herbal Chicken Soup) because I want ginseng to take centerstage this time round. So I just added huai shan 淮山 (see photo below), which lends a mild, supporting yet distinctive sweet taste to the soup. Huai shan appears chalk like and has a bright white colour, and is said to benefit the spleen, lungs and kidneys. I experimented with adding huai shan to my ginseng soup as I have seen it as a food pairing with ginseng on more than one occasion in cookbooks and when I’m dining out.

Ingredients for making Ginseng Chicken Soupp

Ingredients
Serves 3-4

1/2 chicken*, chopped to small pieces and skin removed
40g American Ginseng “Beards” 洋参须**
1.6 litres of water
25g Huai Shan 淮山
10 red dates
1/2 tbsp wolfberries
a pinch of salt* (optional)

* You can also substitute with 1 small black chicken or 250g lean pork, sliced thickly. Skip the blanching part (step 1 below) if using lean pork. I personally prefer using chicken.
** If you are ‘scared’ of the ‘bitter’ taste of ginseng, reduce to 30g. Similarly, if you want a richer ginseng taste, you can increase the amount to 50g.

Directions

1. Blanch chicken pieces in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the blanched chicken and the rest of the ingredients (except wolfberries) into a pot with the water. Bring to a boil, continue boiling over high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to a lower flame and simmer for at least another 40 minutes (and longer if you can). Add wolfberries at the last 15 minutes of cooking. You can also slow cook, or use a thermal pot (or whatever you have) to prolong the cooking (at a gentle pace) to bring out the tastes. Add salt to taste.

Ginseng Chicken Soup

===

Note: I’m sending this to Weekend Herb Blogging which is hosted by Ivy from Kopiaste this week.

28 Responses to “Ginseng Chicken Soup”

1. Ning — December 5, 2008 @ 4:57 pm

This is my favorite way of cooking ginseng as well! I see you added some of my favorite Chinese herbs! Yummy and comforting! I better cook this soon! :)

2. wiffy — December 5, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

Thank you ladies for the kind words ;p

lk, I personally think most of the ‘scum’ comes from the bone and bone marrows, hence blanching will get rid of them. For my recipe I suggested lean pork (that mean the slices, no bones type) if not using chicken. Blanching is needed if pork ribs are used. But no harm blanching the lean pork I guess if you’re more comfortable with doing so hehe ;p

Jude, I think the type I am using are the least ‘scary’ versions, hehe

ladyhomechef, haha … then u must make it soon! ;p

Ning, yes u should! =p

3. Tastes of Home — December 6, 2008 @ 8:31 am

I need some now wiffy!! especially with the cooler weather creeping up…hehe ..I think I’m going to miss your ginseng instalments. hehe

4. mikky — December 6, 2008 @ 9:47 am

this is hubby’s favorite and my childhood’s comfort soup… thanks for sharing… :)

5. foodphotoblog.com — December 7, 2008 @ 6:23 am

Man ginseng in chicken soup just might be the new cure for the common cold.

6. Jun, IndoChine Kitchen — December 7, 2008 @ 10:15 pm

You have been eating so well, girl.

Excellent recipe and detailed explanations on the ingredients. You have done great.

7. Lore — December 8, 2008 @ 1:51 am

This is something else! I’ve never added any kind of berries nor dates to my chicken soup before. Sounds*looks like a must try!

8. Lore — December 8, 2008 @ 1:53 am

I almost forgot to compliment you on the photo, I can’t seem to take a decent photo for most of my clear soups. Could you share some tips on this? Thanks! :)

9. wiffy — December 9, 2008 @ 12:41 pm

Thanks for the kind comments :-)

Lore, thanks for visiting me! Thanks for your compliments, I think your photos are much better than mine. Hee the truth is, I have problems photographing soups n drinks as well – they usually need a lot more shots than the usual dishes. A few tips that work for me – make sure the photos are taken at an angle without any unsightly reflection. Try to take the shots without stirring the soup … as I notice that stirring makes it looks oily on the surface for some reason. Always place some ingredients in the center so that the camera can focus. Hope they helped :)

10. Lore — December 9, 2008 @ 11:52 pm

Thanks Wiffy! I think I need to buy another soup plate because I always use a deep bowl and the few ingredients the camera could focus on just sink on the bottom of the bowl :)