Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Chicken

Ginger & Scallions Chicken

Check Out: Ginger Scallions Pork Recipe

Chicken with Ginger & Scallions (姜葱鸡肉) a homely and humble dish which my mum cooked almost weekly since we were young, and I still love eating it. It is the chicken version of her stir-fry pork with ginger and scallions recipe. If I do not want to think of what to cook, I know I can fall back on timeless everyday classics (家常菜) like this dish – it is easy, cheap and delicious. This type of food is what I truly call the taste of home – almost every Chinese family have their family recipe for this dish. I particularly like to drizzle the savoury gravy over my rice … good to the last drop!

Ginger & Scallions Chicken

36 Responses to “Ginger and Scallions Chicken”

1. Tammy Tan via Facebook — March 8, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Oh thanks .. Tried the ginger pork today. Good enough for a noob! :)

2. Shelley — March 9, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Looks yummy! I heard that breast meat and thigh meat have different cooking time. If I mix breast and thigh meat in this dish, which one should I be cooking first?

• wiffy replied: — March 9th, 2012 @ 9:38 am

I think it should be about the same timing in this recipe, since you will be cutting them to uniform, bite-sized pieces.

3. lisaiscooking — March 9, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

Looks terrific! I was just trying to decide what to cook for a quick meal tomorrow night, and I decided on a chicken stir fry. Can’t wait!

4. Little Corner of Mine — March 9, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

This is really a 家常菜! My mom used to make it for me and now I cook it occasionally too for my family. :)

5. new happy cook — March 12, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Hi,
    Ever since I came to the states in nov I have been trying out many of your recipes and they all came out delicious. Received many compliments from friends who came over to dine.

Thanks for making cooking so easy and now I am enjoying cooking very much.

Going to try this one tomorrow night. But can I just check with you why we do not need to marinate the chicken for this? Tried the stir fry pork with scallion and it was super delicious. Will marinating the chicken improve the taste?

• wiffy replied: — March 12th, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Hi, I asked my mum the same, and she told me for the chicken version, she felt it is not necessary to marinate since the chicken is simmering a bit. that’s why in step 3, the recipe asks to flip the pieces, so that the chicken can absorb the sauce evenly. If you prefer to marinade, you can still do so, but minus the 1/4 cup water which you add in step 3 :)

6. sophie — January 16, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Will definitely try this…like tomorrow…lol…thks!!!
    Sorry for this strange question: I thought everyone uses oyster sauce for stir fry to give it a sweet taste??? (I’m a non-cook!)
    What’s the difference between fish sauce & soya sauce?thanks

• wiffy replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Hi, my family recipe do not use oyster sauce, but feel to adapt this recipe if you wish to add it. Fish sauce has an umami flavour which complements meat & savoury dishes well. You may omit fish sauce and add a bit more soy sauce if you like.

7. Xiuhui — May 17, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

Hi. I using chicken fillet to whip up the dish. And i use the liquid type of dark soya sauce.
    But the meat was tough and doesnt have the taste.
    Pls advise how to tender the meat and let it have the sauce taste.

• wiffy replied: — May 29th, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

use chicken thigh if you find the meat tough. Season for longer for better taste.

8. Angie — July 16, 2013 @ 4:22 am

I have a question about this. I tried it the last time but totally burnt it because the sauce end up evaporating almost instantly. But I am really craving for this! Do you have any tips? Has it got something to do with the heat? Thank you so much!

• wiffy replied: — July 19th, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Hi! I’m sorry to hear that. Reduce heat to simmer (not boiling), and also add more water – there should be some gravy left after cooking so adjust the water accordingly (it differs with different stove heat)

9. Khoo Juliana — March 8, 2014 @ 1:51 pm

Hi 1 tsp = 1 table spoon or tea spoon?

• wiffy replied: — March 9th, 2014 @ 4:08 pm