Roast Chicken with Stuffing
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Garlic Roast Chicken with Stuffing Recipe
- a small knob of butter
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups of stuffing mix (cubed bread seasoned with herbs)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 whole chicken cavity emptied & cleaned, head/neck & feet removed (you can ask your butcher to prepare this for you)
- 4 roasting potatoes the harder variety, such as baby, Brastagi and red potatoes
- 4 carrots peeled and chop to chunks
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (and/or rosemary)
- half bulb garlic separated to cloves and peeled
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- garlic powder
- half lemon quartered
- olive oil
- Melt butter in pan. Add celery and onions and cook on medium low heat for about 3 minutes (until the onions is translucent and soft).
- Add chicken broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn off the stove and add stuffing mix, thyme and garlic, lightly coating the bread cubes with the broth. Allow to cool.
(B) Roast Chicken
- Brush olive oil evenly all over the chicken. Season with salt rub, freshly cracked black pepper and garlic powder.
- Truss the chicken by tying the chicken thighs together with kitchen twine. Loosely fill (to allow room for the stuffing to expand during roasting) the cavity of the chicken with cooked stuffing mix.
- In a roasting tray, coat potatoes and carrots in olive oil (about 1 tbsp) and season with sea salt and black pepper. Arrange one layer on roasting tray. Add thyme, garlic cloves, bay leaves and lemon.
- Place chicken on a higher wire rack in the oven, with the roasted vegetables tray beneath it to catch the chicken juices. If you don’t have a wire rack you can prop the chicken on top of the vegetables in the tray. Roast chicken with vegetables tray beneath it in preheated oven of 220°C (428°F) for half hour.
- Take the chicken out and baste it with olive oil all over the chicken skin. Return chicken to the wire rack in oven and bake for another 20 minute at 220°C (428°F) and after that, baste chicken once more with olive oil.
- Add the remaining stuffing mix to the vegetables tray and mix well. Roast chicken and vegetables at 200°C (392°F) for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Cover roasted chicken with aluminium foil and allow it to relax for at least 5 minutes or more before carving.
- Serve dinner plate with roast chicken, roasted stuffing and vegetables and not forgetting the crispy chicken skin.