Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Crispy Fried Wontons

Fried Wontons

Check Out: Steamed Dumplings Recipe

I rarely cooked before I have my own home. I never have to worry about food on the dinner table all my life because both my parents are excellent cooks, and my dad also knew where to find all the good food outside. Besides instant noodles, the only other dish which I learned to cook back then was this fried wontons (wrapped dumpling with meat fillings).  I usually prepare the marinaded filling myself, after which my mum & I will wrap the wontons together. Then she will help me deep fry the wontons while I hid far away because I was scared of oil splatters. Now that I am staying on my own, I have to do everything by myself including the deep frying. This was the one and only so-called “proper” dish which I can make even when I had zero experience in cooking back then and I still enjoy making it now.  One difference between  home-made and outside version is that the latter is often without water chestnut, which to me is so important to me because of  the nice crunch it gives to the dumplings.

Fried Wontons Recipe

Ready for the sizzle

In case you are wondering if these wontons can be boiled instead of deep fried, yes you can.  I frequently make wonton soup or wonton noodles with them and they are great.

27 Responses to “Crispy Fried Wontons”

1 2 3
  1. Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover — July 29, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

I made this the other day, have yet to post. We love the crispy skin and very tasty. Yours look so good too.

2. daphne — July 29, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

The good thing about making these at home is that you get to have more filling!

3. Adelene Chin — July 29, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Nice :) . Simply love the steps that you have outlined as above. Will definitely give it a try. Hmm…do you think you have recipes for tofu with simple minced meat sauce ? Would love to cook that for my son :)

4. HoppingHammy — July 29, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Oh these look fabulous!! Your step by step directions are really good too! Mmm…wontons. ;)

5. Donna — July 29, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

yum~~ I don’t even eat meat yet these look delicious! also loved the tip about how deep-frying helps to season cast iron. I did not know that.

I imagine these could be stuffed with vegetarian fillings.

• wiffy replied: — August 1st, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Hi Donna, thanks for your kind words. Yes I think a vegetarian version sounds great, I’ll try it out one day :)

6. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — July 30, 2011 @ 1:15 am

What a yummy snack or appetizer!

7. Pipana — July 30, 2011 @ 1:59 am

Woo!!! I am drooling XD

I wanna do a different version using “natto” (Japanese fermented sticky soy beans) as an ingredient! ^_-

• wiffy replied: — August 1st, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Hi Pipana, I tried natto before, I think a dumpling with natto filling sounds really creative ^^

8. mycookinghut — July 30, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

This is always my favourite. Can’t stop eating after the first one!

9. lisaiscooking — July 30, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

They look crispy and delicious. The water chestnuts in the filling sounds great!

10. food-4tots — July 30, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

Great step by step tutorial!!! I didn’t know that deep-frying can help to season cast iron wok. I still haven’t seasoned my wok yet. Haha!!

1. Pingback: Fried Foods Info – Chef Berry