French Toast Recipe
This is a basic yet delicious recipe for French Toast which I grew up on. For a varied and gourmet touch, add 1/2 tsp freshly grated cinnamon and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract into the egg mixture.
Serves: 4 bread slices (2 persons)
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp caster or super-fine sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or soy milk
- 4 slices bread preferably stale (but not spoilt) bread
- cooking oil 1 tsp at a time; may substitute with a small piece of butter
- Whisk eggs, sugar and milk in a bowl. Dip the bread, one slice at a time, until saturated on both sides.
- Heat oil in a cooking pan and either swirl the pan or use a pastry brush to coat the surface of the pan evenly. Fry the bread until both sides are browned. Repeat this step until all the bread slices are cooked.
- Drain the excess oil from the French Toast on kitchen paper towels. You may eat it on its own or serve it with a small & thin slice of butter, maple syrup and berries/cherry tomatoes.