Portobello Stuffed Spinach Recipe Bacon Wrapped Enoki Recipe Tonjiru Recipe (Japanese Pork Soup) konnyaku(konjac) Instant Dashi Braised Mushrooms Recipe

Foil-Wrapped Ginseng Chicken

Steamed ginseng chicken wrapped in foil is a simple wrap and cook dinner solution. This is a very healthy and convenient recipe. The ginseng I am using is called american ginseng fiber (洋参须). It is an inexpensive type of american ginseng, has ‘cooling’ properties (降火), & keeps one more alert (提神) among the host of its known benefits.

See Also:

You can purchase this particular ginseng in Singapore at traditional neighbourhood Chinese medical halls or the ones at the shopping centers such as Fuhua (where I bought a 150g packet for S$5.50).

24 Responses to “Foil-Wrapped Ginseng Chicken”

1 2 3
  1. Jun — November 15, 2008 @ 9:40 pm

What a wonderful way to use up ginseng. We always have it in our “bitter chicken soup” This is very refreshing. You did great. Thanks for sharing!

2. lk — November 15, 2008 @ 11:53 pm

Great post! I luv your step-by-step guides with all the fabulous shots! Just wonder instead of flipping the chicken, can I just flip the package? Less risk of getting a burnt thumb. Hehehe!

3. Ning — November 15, 2008 @ 11:59 pm

You know, I am going to cook chicken soup with ginseng tomorrow. Really! With wolfberry, ginger and red dates. (No mushroom) :-) Do you have ESP or what?

4. Little Corner of Mine — November 16, 2008 @ 12:19 am

That’s a lot of ginseng, does the chicken taste bitter? Thus far, I only used it to cook herbal soup and I only put a little bit and the soup is bitter already. So, just curious.

5. didally — November 16, 2008 @ 1:58 am

Great recipe! I love herbal chicken cooked like this. Love the step by step pics. :D

6. Tastes of Home — November 16, 2008 @ 3:45 am

wow, ur really in a ginseng mood lately :P
    and Yes, steaming in foil is so fuss free and one can be so creative with the ingredients/ marinade – nice pics!

7. Jude — November 16, 2008 @ 5:08 am

Such a unique recipe.. Thanks for the detailed preparation instructions! Can’t say I’ve ever had any meats with ginseng before. Very interesting.

8. tigerfish — November 16, 2008 @ 12:33 pm

Darn flavorful!

9. beachloverkitchen — November 16, 2008 @ 4:47 pm

wow!look healthy and delicous!! must make one for myself soon!!

10. Pepy — November 17, 2008 @ 2:39 am

Goshhh both of you, Tigerfish and you had made yummy tempting food

1 2 3