Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Easy Steamed Fish

NoobCook's 15 min shorts logo

Easy Steamed Fish
Easy steamed fish (清蒸鱼)

I learnt this super easy way of cooking steamed fish from my mum and to me, this dish is perfect in every way.

Perfect because … this dish cost about S$4 (cheap!), 10 minutes to prepare (easy!) and 10 minutes to cook (fast!). It’s super healthy, and no messy clean ups later. It has all my favourite tastes (salty/spicy/tangy) as well as favourite food ingredients like ginger, spring onions, mushrooms, chili, tomato and sour plums. I lick up every last drop of the water that comes from steaming the fish… so satisfying! =D

This is so easy that you can whip this up when you’re cooking for one person too. Simply cook some rice (or porridge) while you are steaming the fish and you have a healthy, delicious home cooked meal in no time. To me, this certainly beats eating crappy & unhealthy food court meals for around the same price ;p

Salted Plums
My bottle of salted plums

Easy Steamed Fish

Note: If you like a recipe for steaming a whole fish, check out my Teochew steamed fish recipe.

Ingredients
(Serves 1-2)
Note: If cooking for more, just use a bigger piece of fish and add more of the other ingredients accordingly to fill the plate.

– 1 small cut of fish (about 150g onwards)
– 1 thick stalk spring onions, cut to 2 inch lengths
– 5 slices ginger, sliced thinly
– 1 chilli padi, sliced thinly (adjust or omit to your liking)
– 1/2 to 1 tomato, cut to small wedges
– 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
– 1 sour plum (aka salted plum)
– 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
– 2 tbsp water (or more if you like more “soup”)

Directions

1. Place fish (skin side down) in a deep plate. Drizzle light soy sauce and water over the fish. Keep in fridge (covered) for at least 30 minutes if you can.
2. Scatter the rest of the ingredients evenly over the fish.
3. Steam on high heat for 10-15 minutes (note: for the small piece I had, it is cooked after 10 minutes of steaming).

Steamed Fish (clean plate!)
Clean plate, a sign of satisfaction (or greed?)

58 Responses to “Easy Steamed Fish”

1. iris — August 30, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

sorry, i’m really a noob in cooking, what sort of fish should i buy for this?

• wiffy replied: — August 31st, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Hi iris, I usually buy the already-fillet fish in the fridge section of NTUC, there are many types to choose from, it’s up to u. my fave is the red snapper or something, its with a slight reddish skin.

2. Michelle — August 31, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Hi, may I be Kay poh n suggest some fish types too? You may also use cod fish, sesame fish (Ma Yao fish in Cantonese, Ngow fish in Teochew), garouper, endless types!! If you to the wet market, ask the fishmonger which is suitable for steaming :-)

3. ting — February 11, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Hi, where u get the bottle salted plums, cant find it in Singapore.

4. Cindy — June 23, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Hi all,
    Love this easy steamed fish, i usually use seabass for my recipe.. :D

5. xiuhui — August 17, 2012 @ 9:02 am

What fish did you used?

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:40 am

Hi my favourite is threadfin fillet, it’s quite expensive but delicious when steamed!

6. Pooja Kanal — February 6, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

Hi, I am Pooja from India. I love fish and want to experiment with steaming them. I am very intrigued by your steamed fish recipes and just wanted to know an easy recipe to make salted vegetable and also what vegetables should i use.
    Thanks in advance.

7. Cynthia — February 6, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

Hi, what’s the name of fish do you use for this? TQ.
    ;)

• wiffy replied: — February 6th, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Personally, I always use threadfin fillet (午鱼) for this dish. But feel free to use any of your favourite Chinese fish fillet such as tioman fish will do too.

1 3 4 5