Easter Nest Cupcakes
Easter Nest Cupcakes Recipe
Easy recipe for adorable Easter nest cupcakes - perfect for Easter holiday and fun for everyday.
Serves: 8 mid-sized cupcakes
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 110 grams unsalted butter cut to small cubes and melted at room temperature
- 110 grams caster or super fine sugar sifted
- 110 grams self-raising flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate bar for making chocolate flake shavings
- 32 mini candy eggs for topping; roughly 4 per cupcakes
(A) Chocolate fondue
- 200g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp thickened cream or substitute with more milk
- 1 tbsp milk
- Place butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth, about 2-3 minutes on medium speed.
- Place baking cases in muffin tins. Spoon the mixture into the cases (about half filled).
- Bake in preheated oven of 175°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes, until the top just turn golden brown.
- Remove the tins from oven and cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cupcakes and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate icing/fondue (A), boil a pot of water and reduce to a low, gentle simmer. Place a smaller mini pot with chocolate chips over the larger pot and stir until the chocolate is fully melted. Add the cream and milk while the chocolate is warm, stirring until the mixture is smooth with a velvety finish. Keep the chocolate warm with a tealight fondue pot. For a detailed tutorial, check out chocolate fondue recipe.
- Make chocolate flakes shavings by using a knife to scrap the surface of a chocolate bar.
- To assemble the cupcakes, swirl chocolate fondue onto cupcakes; top with chocolate shavings and 4 mini eggs per cupcake.
Noob Cook Tips
- Store for a day in an airtight container. Freeze undecorated cupcakes in ziplock bags and whenever you need a cupcake or two, toast them for a few minutes in the oven till they are warm.
- I used Hershey’s Whoppers Mini Robin Eggs; you can buy them at Cold Storage, Singapore. I bought a 10 oz (283g) bag for S$2.95.
- Use leftover chocolate fondue, if any, to dip strawberries and bite-sized foods.
Credits: Basic cupcake recipe adapted from 500 Muffins and Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly