Chicken Curry Recipe
You may also pre-boil the potatoes and add them into the cooked curry. I find that cooking the potatoes together with the curry is not only easier (taking caution not to over-cook), the starch from the potatoes also result in a thicker and richer curry gravy which I absolutely love.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1 packet instant curry sauce
- 1/2 chicken cut to smaller pieces
- 2 to 3 russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut to 5cm lengths, making slits on the stalks to release the flavour
- 5 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 200ml coconut milk or coconut cream for a richer taste
- 500ml water
- chilli powder to taste (optional)
- salt or fish sauce to taste (optional)
- In a pan or wok, heat oil and fry the shallots until lightly browned. Add curry sauce and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add water, lemongrass, chicken and curry leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and potatoes are soft.
- Reduce heat, stir in the coconut milk and warm the curry. Add chilli powder to taste for extra heat and season with salt (or other seasonings) if necessary. Serve with warm rice or sliced baguette.
- Although it is uncommon, I sneaked in tomatoes, lady’s fingers and eggplants in my curry for a complete meal on a lazy weekend. If you wish to add them too, note that the vegetables cook relatively quickly (especially the eggplants), so they should be added during the last 5-8 minutes of cooking. Cut tomatoes can be added just before turning off the stove. This will prevent the vegetables from being over-cooked and mushy.
- You may also pre-boil the potatoes and add them into the cooked curry. I find that cooking the potatoes together with the curry is not only easier (taking caution not to over-cook), the starch from the potatoes also result in a thicker and richer curry gravy which I absolutely love.
Leave a Comment
54 Responses to “Curry Chicken”
Pingback: Curry Chicken Noodles