Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe

Crispy Crab Sticks

Crispy Crab Sticks

Chinese New Year (CNY) is just around the corner (10 Feb 2013), have you started your annual CNY baking? I’m really busy this year, so I’m focused on making the easiest goodies ever, such as these crispy crab sticks. By easy, I mean really easy – there are only two ingredients: imitation crab sticks and oil for deep-frying! There is no need for any seasonings, as the crab sticks are already flavoured. We are all familiar with crab sticks which are usually added in soups or stir-fries, but after deep-frying to golden perfection, they take on a new life and become crispy keropok (crackers)!

Credits: Thanks to my buddy anemone for teaching me how to make them.

Printable Recipe
Crispy Crab Sticks (Step-by-Step)
Making crispy crab sticks (Peeling) Gently peel and unroll the crab sticks, then separate to roughly 1 cm width.
Making crispy crab sticks (drying) To minimize oil splatters during deep-frying, arrange the crab sticks one layer on plates and allow to air dry for several hours. Tip: You can use a fan to speed up the drying process.
Making crispy crab sticks (drying) My crab sticks after 3 hours of fan drying. They are dried and slightly curled.
Making crispy crab sticks (deep frying) Heat oil in wok. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping a piece of crab stick in it. The crab stick should sizzle, float upwards and flatten out instantly. Deep fry in small batches until lightly golden.
 Crispy Crab Sticks Drain excess oil on paper towels and store in an air-tight container.

19 Responses to “Crispy Crab Sticks”

1. Mel — January 31, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

I don’t really fancy on the crab stick because they are so imitation in ingredients but your post today really intrigued me. Another great snack to munch.

• wiffy replied: — February 1st, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

it’s basically fish paste (not crab) but other than that, it’s not too artificial in my opinion :)

2. Shariffa — January 31, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

I’ve always love crab stick but knowing its high sodium content I try to reduce my consumption. But this? I have to try!!

• wiffy replied: — February 1st, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

this is worth forgoing my diet for ;)

3. tigerfish — February 1, 2013 @ 3:05 am

I like your retro-looking fan :) Nice idea for crab keropok!

• wiffy replied: — February 1st, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

it’s actually 鞭炮 (fire crackers) but maybe because the angle I took is quite high, so it resembles a fan instead :P

4. Little Corner of Mine — February 2, 2013 @ 1:31 am

I loved this snack too but too much trouble to make this.

5. Michelle — February 2, 2013 @ 10:53 am

Hi Wiffy, love your retro looking mosaic wall against the black table top!

6. X — February 3, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

Hi . I saw your recipe yesterday and decide to do it. Everything went well till I tried one today . It became soft as in “漏風". I wait till it became room temperature before storing it in the CNy bottles and tape it up .Same goes for my sambal mini shrimp rolls :( . So demoralise now .

• wiffy replied: — February 3rd, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

mine lasted for many days without 漏風 and my friend told me hers last up to one week. there was once I made where it 漏風 the very next day, because I think I didn’t screw the bottle tightly. Also, don’t wait too long before you bottle, once it’s cool, bottle immediately, as our weather is very humid.

7. B — February 6, 2013 @ 1:17 am

Tasty and yummy snack!

8. Carrie — January 2, 2014 @ 11:35 am

I tried using Kami brand but I can’t unroll it nicely as it tends to stick together. May I know the brand of the crab sticks that you used?

• wiffy replied: — January 3rd, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

I think most brands should work; I used the DoDo brand.

9. leexin — January 11, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

hi , but mine is not crispy at all, why?

• wiffy replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 11:39 am

I think the oil is probably not hot enough. Read my next comment on how to test the heat.

10. Veronica — January 15, 2014 @ 10:16 am

Hi. Tired your method but the stick is soft. Not crunchy at all. Air dry for 4 hours and still is soft. How you make yours crunch? Pleas advise. Thanks

• wiffy replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 11:39 am

I think the oil is probably not hot enough. To test the heat, insert a wooden chopstick into the heated oil and tiny bubbles should form around it instantly.