Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe (Oi-muchim) Salted Egg Yolk Tofu Recipe Roasted Curried Cauliflower Recipe Yosenabe Recipe Claypot Tofu Vegetables Recipe Sesame Wine Chicken Recipe

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

I cooked this soup for my friend who only eats vegetables and seafood. We had this soup with some grilled scallops and shrimps aglio olio.

See Also: Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

I’ve always like portobello mushrooms for their deep, earthy flavours and “meaty” texture. The deep flavours of the portobello mushrooms goes well with the subtle aroma of the white wine. The mushroom bits and cream give the soup a velvety and nice texture. The soup is creamy and slightly chunky so it is filling on its own. We serve it with some basil macadamia pesto on toast.

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

81 Responses to “Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup”

1. Jean — July 27, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Go buy the stuff then we can make and you all can hv it for lunch!

2. June — November 23, 2011 @ 12:03 am

Hi Wiffy,

is it safe to put hot soup into a blender to blend? Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never used a food processor before.

Also in step 8, you mentioned a few drops of cream, is that the thickened cream also?

Thanks!

3. Joey — December 6, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

Hello,
    is it possible to cook this from scratch. as in I would like to prepare this without the use of any sort of stock.I want to try make this on Christmas for my family but we are really sensitive to stock. (my dad dislike the taste and my little sister get all red and scratchy, that’s why we always eat home-cooked food D:)

please let me know if there is other alternatives.

THANK YOU !

• wiffy replied: — December 7th, 2011 @ 10:39 am

you can make your own vegetable or chicken stock (check out http://www.noobcook.com/all-recipes/#broth). my friend also told me can make mushroom stock by using mushroom stems, but I have not tried before. I bought organic soup broth at NTUC before, I can’t remember the brand, it costs about S$6.50 per tetra pak and placed with at the organic foods section, it’s quite natural – don’t really have that artificial MSG taste if that’s what your family is sensitive about.

• Joey replied: — December 8th, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Thank you so much for replying, I’m cooking dinner tonight ;D

4. Amelia — April 28, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

Hi,

was wondering if i could substitute or omit the wine? as i do not take it.

Thank you!

• wiffy replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Yes, you can omit the wine.

5. SK — May 22, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Hi, a few questions
    1) what is thickened cream and where can i buy
    2) is the inner part of portobello mushroom edible, do i need to remove it?

6. Etblithe — September 15, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

What can I substitute white wine for?

• wiffy replied: — September 20th, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

Hi, any other type of your favourite wine, or you may omit it.

7. Vee — December 17, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Hi ,

thanks for the lovely recipe. I have made this before- followed your recipe (without the white wine) and it turned out excellent. Am planning to make this again, but am currently trying to be dairy free for health reasons – hence planning to sub olive oil for butter n planning on omiting the cream. Also might try using organic vegetable stock instead of the woh hup mushroom stock. Do u think it will work? any other tips you might have to make it more creamier without dairy? Thanks so much in advance :)

V

8. Cindy — April 16, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

The mushroom soup looks yummy. However, I do not have a blender or food processor. Is it ok if I miss this step. Can I replace thickened cream with corn flour?

• wiffy replied: — April 18th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

Yep you can thicken the soup with cornstarch at the end but cream will give it more flavour and a velvety finish. Without the blender, the soup will not be smooth in texture, but that’s ok I guess if you don’t mind.

1. Pingback: Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup « Food Is My Life