Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Check Out: Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

I cooked this soup for my friend who only eats vegetables and seafood. We had this soup with some grilled scallops and shrimps aglio olio. I’ve always like portobello mushrooms for their deep, earthy flavours and “meaty” texture. The deep flavours of the portobello mushrooms goes well with the subtle aroma of the white wine. The mushroom bits and cream give the soup a velvety and nice texture. The soup is creamy and slightly chunky so it is filling on its own. We serve it with some basil macadamia pesto on toast.

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

78 Responses to “Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup”

1. June — November 23, 2011 @ 12:03 am

Hi Wiffy,

is it safe to put hot soup into a blender to blend? Pardon my ignorance, I’ve never used a food processor before.

Also in step 8, you mentioned a few drops of cream, is that the thickened cream also?

Thanks!

2. Joey — December 6, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

Hello,
    is it possible to cook this from scratch. as in I would like to prepare this without the use of any sort of stock.I want to try make this on Christmas for my family but we are really sensitive to stock. (my dad dislike the taste and my little sister get all red and scratchy, that’s why we always eat home-cooked food D:)

please let me know if there is other alternatives.

THANK YOU !

• wiffy replied: — December 7th, 2011 @ 10:39 am

you can make your own vegetable or chicken stock (check out http://www.noobcook.com/all-recipes/#broth). my friend also told me can make mushroom stock by using mushroom stems, but I have not tried before. I bought organic soup broth at NTUC before, I can’t remember the brand, it costs about S$6.50 per tetra pak and placed with at the organic foods section, it’s quite natural – don’t really have that artificial MSG taste if that’s what your family is sensitive about.

• Joey replied: — December 8th, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Thank you so much for replying, I’m cooking dinner tonight ;D

3. Amelia — April 28, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

Hi,

was wondering if i could substitute or omit the wine? as i do not take it.

Thank you!

• wiffy replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Yes, you can omit the wine.

4. SK — May 22, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Hi, a few questions
    1) what is thickened cream and where can i buy
    2) is the inner part of portobello mushroom edible, do i need to remove it?

5. Etblithe — September 15, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

What can I substitute white wine for?

• wiffy replied: — September 20th, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

Hi, any other type of your favourite wine, or you may omit it.

6. Vee — December 17, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Hi ,

thanks for the lovely recipe. I have made this before- followed your recipe (without the white wine) and it turned out excellent. Am planning to make this again, but am currently trying to be dairy free for health reasons – hence planning to sub olive oil for butter n planning on omiting the cream. Also might try using organic vegetable stock instead of the woh hup mushroom stock. Do u think it will work? any other tips you might have to make it more creamier without dairy? Thanks so much in advance :)

V

7. Cindy — April 16, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

The mushroom soup looks yummy. However, I do not have a blender or food processor. Is it ok if I miss this step. Can I replace thickened cream with corn flour?

• wiffy replied: — April 18th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

Yep you can thicken the soup with cornstarch at the end but cream will give it more flavour and a velvety finish. Without the blender, the soup will not be smooth in texture, but that’s ok I guess if you don’t mind.

8. Rose — April 24, 2013 @ 11:38 pm

Wiffy,

If I m not using white wine, do I replace the 100ml with stock?

Will a handheld processor do the job?

• wiffy replied: — April 26th, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

Yep just add a bit more stock. A handheld processor will definitely do the job.

• Rose replied: — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:47 pm

Thanks Wiffy. Will try this soon :D

9. Rose — April 28, 2013 @ 10:41 pm

Wiffy, I bought the woh hup concentrated mushroom stock. The label says dissolve in 180 ml of water. Should I follow your recipe 200ml or the instruction on the bottle?

• wiffy replied: — April 29th, 2013 @ 11:19 am

Hi Rose, 20ml is not a lot of difference, up to you. Just season to taste later.

• Rose replied: — May 4th, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

Hi Wiffy,

I made the mushroom soup today and diluted 1 tsp to every 180 ml. I didn’t have to add salt after cooking. My hubby says it tastes like restaurant mushroom soup. He dipped with home made garlic bread. 2 of my 3 kids love the soup too. My other kid doesn’t like mushroom dish.

Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe :)

10. vianice Ng — October 1, 2013 @ 10:43 am

Hi wiffy,

I’ve been your fans following your recipes. I like your western recipe especially.

Can I know the white wine you used was the white cooking wine e.g. Holland white cooking wine I saw in cold storage?

Thanks for replying.

• wiffy replied: — October 1st, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

Hi vianice, any type of white wine that’s not fruity (sweet) and preferably dry white wine. You don’t have to buy the expensive ones.