Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Check Out: Potato and Leek Soup Recipe

I cooked this soup for my friend who only eats vegetables and seafood. We had this soup with some grilled scallops and shrimps aglio olio. I’ve always like portobello mushrooms for their deep, earthy flavours and “meaty” texture. The deep flavours of the portobello mushrooms goes well with the subtle aroma of the white wine. The mushroom bits and cream give the soup a velvety and nice texture. The soup is creamy and slightly chunky so it is filling on its own. We serve it with some basil macadamia pesto on toast.

Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

78 Responses to “Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup”

1. The Little Teochew — October 23, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

All I can say is WOW. You did a fantastic job! BTW, I also cooked soup for a guest for dinner ;) Coincidence, eh?

• wiffy replied: — October 25th, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

I think soups are really great for hosting guests … they are so comforting ;)

2. daphne — October 23, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

I love the thickness of your soup!! Alot of times, mushroom soup is served sooo watery! Yours looks perfect!

• wiffy replied: — October 25th, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

Thanks girl. I love my mushroom soup creamy as well :)

3. 3hungrytummies — October 27, 2009 @ 6:30 pm

amazing how using fresh produce straight from the farm made such a big different!!

• wiffy replied: — October 27th, 2009 @ 10:30 pm

hi! u referring to my other post, rustic singapore? Anyway, thanks for your comment :)

4. mokee — January 13, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

Hi,
    I :XO: Portobello Mushroom Soup very very muchhh. :P
    would like to find out from u, how to prepare the portobello mushroom before start cooking?

tqvm

• wiffy replied: — January 19th, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

Hi, you can either clean them by using a damp cloth to dab the surface, or you can rinse them quickly in water.

5. ethan — May 4, 2010 @ 7:31 am

hi, what is sage in chinese? and is it is sold in supermarkets at the chiller or?

• wiffy replied: — May 4th, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Hi ethan, sorry I am not sure what it is called in Chinese. yes it’s usually sold at the chiller section, where you see lots of western herbs like rosemary, thyme, etc

• ethan replied: — May 9th, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

u mean they are in bottles? not like 1 pack 1 pack of vege?

• wiffy replied: — May 10th, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

no not bottles. For fresh, it’s the 1 pack 1 pack type … in the fridge section and usually with the others western herbs such as thyme, oregano etc

the bottles are the dried type

6. Kelly — May 9, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

Hi, Can i use ground Sage instead of fresh ones?
    If yes, pls let me know the qty. Thank you :)

• wiffy replied: — May 10th, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

Hi Kelly, you mean dried sage? Yes you can use those. Usually dried herbs has stronger aroma compared to the fresh ones, so I guess you can start with 1 tsp. Taste the soup and see if you need more. Hope this helps :)

7. aries28 — May 27, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

the mushroom soup looks delicious..would like to try it..but due to religious reason, i can’t use white wine..is there any substitue for it???thanks…

• wiffy replied: — May 27th, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Hi aries! I don’t think it’s necessary to substitute the white wine. Just leave it out. In fact, I tried this soup once without the white wine and I liked the taste too :)

8. Irene — September 17, 2010 @ 11:22 am

Hi Wiffy

1. Can I add white/ brown button mushrooms or use only button mushrooms?

2. Can I use this as recipe to make cream of asparagus soup?

Thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 17th, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

hi Irene,

1. Yes I think you can try this recipe with button mushrooms.

2. Not too sure as I’ve never tried before, but I think’s worth a go ;) Maybe you can try the button mushrooms version first and see if you like the taste.

9. Keith — October 14, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

Hey!! Just like to add a note to those who like this and want to try and experiment. I tried this recipe today and things didn’t go so well for me =(( Just like to add perhaps you guys can try blending it for just about 5-10 secs so you’ll get the soup with tiny little chewy chunks of mushroom like in the restaurants instead of creamy soup which i got =( unless of course if you guys like the creamy type. And i felt 100ml of white wine is a tad too strong, perhaps 50-70ml would be great. Other than that, this recipe rocks =)))

10. Jean — July 27, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Go buy the stuff then we can make and you all can hv it for lunch!