Claypot Chicken Rice
Claypot Chicken Rice Recipe
The rice cooked using a claypot has a wonderful smoky flavour and a nice crust. This is a great one-dish and balanced meal with meat, mushrooms and vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 500g chicken thighs cut to small pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil divided
- a small piece of salted fish (about 10g) finely chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms rinsed and soaked in hot water, stalks trimmed, quartered (reserve 2 tbsp soaking water)
- 2 lup cheong (Chinese sausages/腊肠) soaked in hot water for 5 minutes before removing wax covering; sliced diagonally
- 2 baby bok choy/xiao bai cai (小白菜) ends trimmed
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp ginger juice (grate some ginger, gather the pulp and squeeze the juice)
- Marinade chicken pieces with (A) for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the clay pot. Add salted fish bits and fry until golden brown. Turn off the stove and take out salted fish, leaving behind the oil in the claypot.
- Add washed rice to the clay pot, coating the rice grains with the oil left in the clay pot using a spatula.
- Add 1 cup water together with 2 tbsp water used to soak the mushrooms.
- Cover claypot with lid. Simmer the rice until it is almost cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces without the leftover marinating sauce (otherwise, the rice may get too soggy) on top of the rice. Scatter fried salted fish bits, mushrooms and lup cheong over. Drizzle remaining 1/2 tbsp oil along the walls of the clay pot so that the rice can form a nice crust.
- Cover the claypot and simmer for another 15 minutes. Turn off the stove. Add the baby bok choy and cover with lid, allowing the contents of the claypot to keep warm and slow cook on their own for another 10-15 minutes before serving.