Where to get the baking supplies in Singapore: I bought the edible silver balls (labelled “dragees”, “Red Man” brand) at Phoon Huat/Cold Storage, “Cake Mate” icing pen (decorating gel – white) at Cold Storage and Christmas-shapes cookie cutters at Daiso & Phoon Huat.
Christmas Biscuits Recipe
You can even use these biscuits as a Christmas tree decoration! Use a skewer to make a small hole at the top of each shape large enough to thread a ribbon through when you are cutting the biscuits (step 5). After the biscuits are baked and decorated, thread with ribbons. Not recommended to be used as a decoration piece in Singapore, though, due to our high humidity.
Serves: a dozen 10-cm stars
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 75g unsalted butter melted at room temperature
- 50g caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 40g cream cheese
- 150g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice*
* Mixed spice is a traditional British blend of sweet spices, similar to America's pumpkin pie spice. I couldn't find this mixed spice blend in Singapore so I made an easy home version by combining spices using the following ratio: 1 tbsp ground cinnamon: 1 tsp ground nutmeg: 1/2 tsp allspice. Store excess in a bottle for future use.
For decorating (optional)
- edible silver balls aka dragée
- writing icing pen
- Christmas-shaped biscuit cutter (such as star)
- flat baking tray
- a wooden work surface for rolling out the dough
- roller pin, sift and large bowl
- Beat the butter with the sugar and lemon zest using a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer.
- Add lemon juice and cream cheese. Sift in the flour, salt and mixed spice.
- When thoroughly combined, remove the dough from the bowl, shape into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. The dough can be kept in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for up to a week.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and roll out on a lightly floured work surface until 5mm thick.
- Dip the biscuit cutter in flour and cut out shapes. Gather up the trimmings and re-roll, then cut out more shapes.
- Arrange slightly apart on the baking trays. Bake for 12-15 minutes in preheated oven of 180°C (356°F) until just turning golden brown at the edges.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cold.
- If desired, decorate with writing icing pen and edible silver balls. Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.