Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Chocolate Lava Cake

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

Check Out: Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe

My buddy Anemone showed me this yummy looking Chocolate Lava Cake recipe and we made a date to come over my place to make it. It was really fun for friends to cook together! I don’t normally have a sweet tooth, and I wasn’t really acquainted with this French dessert, but my friend convinced me that I will like it. She was right – it was really good! Not too sweet like most desserts are, and just the right amount of chocolatey-ness. Not just any chocolate, but warm & oozing runny chocolate goodness (hence the names chocolate lava cake/molten chocolate cake/chocolate fondant pudding).

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

Both my friend and I agreed that it is a very simple recipe and we succeeded in making it to the right consistency on the first attempt (chocolate oozing out when cut in the middle). I think this is an excellent dessert to serve when entertaining guests – simply prepare everything in advance, and after your guests have finished their main course, just pop the ramekins into the oven for 10 minutes. Your guests will really be impressed with how effortless you whip up a warm and delicious dessert with no sweat and in no time at all – never mind the messy behind-the-scenes, you would have washed up before they arrived.

207 Responses to “Chocolate Lava Cake”

1 7 8 9 10 11 15
  1. gm — February 17, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Hi,

Just made this on 2 attempts. Second time was successful as i baked it for exactly 10mins compared to the first which i left it in there longer. Oh ya, I stored the leftover batter in fridge, left it to room temp before baking the second time. So keeping in fridge overnight works :)

I got 2 questions:
    1) I realise that the texture is very much like brownies. In that case, do you think it is advisable to add in chopped walnuts? I am just wondering whether chopped walnuts will affect the baking time, or how the lava flows. I got a big packet of walnuts waiting to be used but I can’t seem to find any nice recipes other than walnut cakes and brownies.

2) I read on the Internet that we could bake in advance, keep in fridge then reheat them in microwave for 15-30 secs and the lava will still flow. Has anyone tried? My friend asked me to bake for her house gathering and i am wondering if can bake in advance.

Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

thanks for sharing the tip about keeping in fridge overnight. I think you can definitely add walnuts to it, sounds good, especially if you intend to enjoy it like a cake without the lava. If I bake this again, I will try the reheating with microwave method and update.

2. Happy Crafter- Lena via Facebook — February 22, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Thank you soooooo much for sharing, my daug and I did it for the first time, it was great success!! Simply love it <3 <3 <3

3. Happy Crafter- Lena via Facebook — March 5, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Hi, may I ask isn’t possible to use chocolate powder eg.valhorna or hershey to make the lava cake? How should we mix the powder? Thanks

4. NoobCook via Facebook — March 5, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Hi Lena, I’m not sure how to make lava cake using chocolate powder. Sorry.

5. jaymie — March 6, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

Can i replace self-raising flour with plain flour?

6. LNF — March 14, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

Hi Wiffy, first attempt in baking this lovely chocolate lava cake..thumbs up! yummy!! Thumbs up!! Tq for sharing, u r too kind :-)

7. deezul — March 27, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

just two additional tweeks, make a salted caramel, cool then use an icing bag to pipe into the middle of the lava cake before cooking
    also grease the ramekins then put a teaspoon of cocoa powder in each, turn them one by one onto their sides and roll the cocoa round so the ramekins are entirely coated. After cooking the cake slides our easily and with that fresh orangey sheen of the cocoa.
    And yes – lol – there’s a severe tendency for americans to lay claim to all sorts of inventions, cookery or otherwise, like most of the others, this one’s wrong too – definitely a french recipe from way before the U.S. was borne :-)

8. Js — May 24, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

Hi, i just tried to bake the lava cake following your method but it turn out too wet n over cooked. Do you know why? If i add more can solve the problem? Pls resuce as i still have some mixture left. Thx

• wiffy replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Can you elaborate how is it wet and over cooked at the same time? over cooked should be dry. How long did you bake and at what temperature? You used an oven? Thanks.

9. Js — May 25, 2012 @ 1:05 am

i use a convection oven. i bake it at 180C for 10min. It is very moist/soft but is over cooked b’cos it don’t have the lava effect. but i beat the eggs and sugar for about 30min b’cos is still yellowish not white.

• wiffy replied: — May 25th, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Hi Js, wow beating the eggs and sugar for 30 mins … that sounds tedious! Are you doing so manually? I used an electric whisk and it’s done in about 3 minutes. You try to reduce the baking time to 8 mins and see if there is any lava this time round. Hope you succeed.

10. Js — May 25, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

I did reduced the timing but the top feel very moist (soft/wet) and it is uncooked even the top.

When you use the electric whisk does the eggs & sugar really become white and not yellowish?

After adding all the ingredients the mixture should have what type of texture?

Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — May 28th, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

it’s a pale yellow colour. The batter is smooth, semi-thick and velvety.

1 7 8 9 10 11 14