Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe

Chocolate Lava Cake

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

My buddy Anemone showed me this yummy looking Chocolate Lava Cake recipe and we made a date to come over my place to make it. It was really fun for friends to cook together!

You May Also Like: Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe

I don’t normally have a sweet tooth, and I wasn’t really acquainted with this French dessert, but my friend convinced me that I will like it. She was right – it was really good! Not too sweet like most desserts are, and just the right amount of chocolatey-ness. Not just any chocolate, but warm & oozing runny chocolate goodness (hence the names chocolate lava cake/molten chocolate cake/chocolate fondant pudding).

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

Both my friend and I agreed that it is a very simple recipe and we succeeded in making it to the right consistency on the first attempt (chocolate oozing out when cut in the middle). I think this is an excellent dessert to serve when entertaining guests – simply prepare everything in advance, and after your guests have finished their main course, just pop the ramekins into the oven for 10 minutes. Your guests will really be impressed with how effortless you whip up a warm and delicious dessert with no sweat and in no time at all – never mind the messy behind-the-scenes, you would have washed up before they arrived.

214 Responses to “Chocolate Lava Cake”

1. Jessie — March 19, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

Hi Wiffy,

Can I use salted butter for this chocolate lava cake?

2. Mei — April 14, 2013 @ 12:13 am

Hi wiffy

thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe! I made this and I have a problem removing the chocolate cake from the rameskin. For the first one, I removed it after 2-3 minutes. When I turned it around, the lava layer oozed out and so I got a lava cake with the already oozed out effect without even cutting it open. For the second one, I waited for about 7minutes and only the lava part came out.Meaning I was left with a hole in the centre in the rameskin (lava part on the plate) and the rest ofthe cake still in the rameskin!

I already buttered the rameskin. Any other reasons for what I have encountered? Or suggestions to solve this. Thanks!

• echo replied: — January 10th, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

Sorry to ask this… just to check if you did use the spoon/knife to go round the side of the rameskin before you remove the cake from the rameskin? Buttering it may still resulted it to stick to the side..

3. Koki — May 30, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Gosh, i tried this today and the result was super delicious. My son was asking me to keep baking since i used muffin tin to make those. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

4. saleha — June 1, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

how many servings do it give

5. le student — July 30, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

can we use non bitter chocolate?

• wiffy replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

Yes you can, you may want to reduce the sugar slightly

6. shweta — September 28, 2013 @ 2:16 am

your recipe is easy & simple…. i don’t like sweet to but i love this desert… thanx

7. May — October 6, 2013 @ 6:47 pm

They are a BIG hit in our family gathering!

8. Zhen — October 16, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

Hi, can I check with you , is it possible that I can use milk chocolate instead ? And secondly can I use plain flour n add abit of baking soda instead of self raising flour ?

• wiffy replied: — October 19th, 2013 @ 2:31 am

Hi, typically baking chocolate is less sweet but has a richer cocoa content than milk chocolate, while the latter is milkier and creamier. Not sure how substituting the chocolate will affect the recipe as I’ve not tried before. If you do try it out, let me know.

technically, it’s possible to make the flour like what you described, though I’ve not tried it out myself I’m quite sure it will work.

9. Eunice — October 18, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Hi! Can I use granulated sugar instead of caster sugar? :-)

• wiffy replied: — October 19th, 2013 @ 2:33 am

caster sugar is ideal for baking due to the smaller crystals, it will be easier to be dissolved into the batter. But you can try it out with granulated sugar if that’s what you have.

10. naomi — January 22, 2014 @ 3:59 am

Thank you for posting the best lava cake recipe ever!!! I have been making it over and over again ever since I first came across your post in 2011. It is always a huge hit at dinner parties. The recipe is so simple that I now make it from memory. Again, thank you for this gem.