Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Check out: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Since the festive mood is upon me, I continued my mini baking spree with these chocolate chip muffins. I re-used my trusty blueberry muffin recipe as the base recipe, since some of my readers had commented that they had adapted the recipe to make chocolate muffins with great success. In place of blueberries, I folded in chocolate chips and added cocoa powder for extra chocolaty-ness, while reducing the sugar since the chocolate is already quite sweet. The only hiccup I had was that in my first attempt, the chocolate chips sank to the bottom presumably because the chips were heavier than the batter. I have since learnt some tips from online research on how to make the chocolate chips float up prettily – use mini chocolate chip morsels, and fold in the chocolate chips into the batter only when ready to bake (these two tips work well for me). If they still sink, you can coat the chips in some flour before folding them (didn’t get to trying this).

Chocolate Chip Muffins

30 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. Daphne — December 15, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

I love how it rises up so nicely with the added choc chips on top. It looks light and fluffy.

2. Janine @ Not the Kitchen Sink! — December 15, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

looks really good, esp with all those chips!

3. Veronica Krystle Davis — December 15, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Nicely done. I would love to have one with my coffee.

4. novi — December 15, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

hi, looks nice and yummy! one question: can i replace the butter with oil or apple sauce? if i can, what’s the amount in ml? many tx!!

• wiffy replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 10:25 am

I have not tried replacing the butter with oil or apple sauce, so I can’t advice on that, sorry.

5. Littlecornerofmine — December 16, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Haha, you really started baking more.  Your muffins look chocolatey which I liked. :)

6. Anna — December 16, 2011 @ 11:51 am

I love to make these too. My problem is the last time I have tried choco chip muffins all the choco chips ended up at the bottom of the muffins. Is that why you only put in half of the choco chips and half is added on top? Let me try your recipe…looks really yummy! Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

yes reserve some for topping. and also using mini chocolate chips and folding them just before baking helps too.

• Vpmm67 replied: — February 18th, 2012 @ 7:10 am

If you coat your chips with some flour they are less likely to fall to the bottom, just an idea that works for me. Good luck

7. Ann@Anncoo Journal — December 16, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

I’ve not made chocolate chip muffins before. Yours look so delicious. Would like to try them for my family during the weekend. Thanks for sharing :)

8. Platanos, Mangoes and Me! — December 19, 2011 @ 8:53 am

As usual you rock.

9. Tigerfish — December 19, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Good that you tried again and success your way! :D

10. shirley@kokken69 — December 20, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Love the generous sprinkle of chocolate chips!