Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Chinese Cabbage Soup

Chinese Cabbage Soup Recipe

Check Out: Watercress Pork Ribs Soup Recipe

Cabbage Soup with Pork Ribs is a Chinese soup that my mum cooked so frequently in the past that I think she almost cooked it to death at one point in time. The timing for cooking the cabbage in this soup recipe is very important. For me, it is usually about 10-15 minutes of boiling the cabbage – if undercooked, they are quite hard with a “raw” vegetable taste; on the other hand, if overcooked, they start to taste mushy and sour which is not desirable as well. When cooked just right, the deep and sweet flavour of the cabbage shines through and complements the other naturally sweet ingredients like corn, carrots, pork ribs and dried scallops. This is such a simple and nourishing pot of soup. After making it, I realised why my mum liked to cook it so frequently in the past.

Chinese Cabbage Soup Recipe

26 Responses to “Chinese Cabbage Soup”

1 2 3
  1. Lia Chen — January 11, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Love this simple and nourishing soup! Love to put cabbage in the soup and my kids love it :)

2. Marysol — January 11, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Soup’s on!
    NC, the vibrant colors of your soup drew me in!
    And what a nice respite from the Christmas’ cookies overload.

3. tracieMoo — January 11, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

wow! dried scallops in the soup! must be good.. :)

4. Little Corner of Mine — January 11, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Love this! Such a sweet soup.

5. emy@thehandiworks — January 12, 2011 @ 1:56 am

I used to love cabbage until I was told that they have *cooling* properties – not great for a person who have cold feet and hands.

So I get around it by adding ginger slices or ginger powder to counter the effect. :)

• wiffy replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

sounds great, and ginger adds a nice flavour to the soup too :)

6. tigerfish — January 12, 2011 @ 4:09 am

You know I am a fan of cabbage! I love them in any way, but uncooked ones (raw) are my least favorite.

• wiffy replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

uncooked ones are as scary as beansprouts :P

7. norma — January 12, 2011 @ 4:29 am

The simplicity of this soup is just so beautiful and anything ones mom makes has to be good…right?

8. daphne — January 12, 2011 @ 8:40 am

recently, i have learned that veges make very good base for soups as well. This is a good example of that. And fulfilling! A light tasty soup.

9. masterofboots — January 12, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I wonder if this soup freezes well :P looking for easy solutions to weeknight dinners.

• wiffy replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

I’ve never tried freezing Chinese soups before, if it’s just the soup alone like freezing chicken broth, perhaps it can be done. If you do try it, let me know ;)

10. WokkingMum — January 12, 2011 @ 10:15 am

I love cabbage soup too! Usually I get those cabbage that are the long type. Better for soup and curry. They won’t go mushy fast. The round ones are better for stir-fry and are sweeter than the long ones. ;) And I love raw cabbage as salad. :)

• wiffy replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

I like those long cabbage too, for this recipe I try to copy my mum who always uses round cabbage in this soup. Ahhh I cannot stomach raw cabbage heh >.<

1 2 3