Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Claypot Chicken Rice, Rice Cooker Recipe

"Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

Check Out: Claypot Chicken Rice Recipe

This recipe is one of my mum’s 拿手好菜 (specialty) when I was a kid. She basically dump the chicken and lup cheong to cook with the rice in a rice cooker and you have a super yummy one-dish-meal quite effortlessly. Like all my mum’s recipes, they are quite straightforward and need minimal ingredients – in this case, just chicken, lup cheong and common Asian pantry stuff like soy sauce, ginger and oyster sauce. This is also the “claypot-less” way to make claypot chicken rice in a rice cooker.

"Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

I’ve wanted to cook this for a very long time but according to my mum, I couldn’t do it with my previous rice cooker because the rice cooked too fast. Yes, my previous rice cooker was an el cheapo, S$30 basic keep warm/cook type which cooks rice in about 10 minutes flat! Really love it but unfortunately, it wasn’t built to last. The thermostat malfunctioned after a few months and after the second one broke down, I decided it was time to look for a more durable rice cooker. I finally settled on a rather high tech (neuro fuzzy), made-in-Japan zujiroshi rice cooker. The rice cooks perfectly and the rice at the base of the pot do not dry up even after keeping warm for a few hours. The only flip side is, it takes like 30 minutes to cook the rice! Well, at least, I consoled myself, I can now cook this dish which I have missed eating for some time.

Printable Recipe
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) Marinade chicken pieces with dark soy sauce and oyster sauce.
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) Grate some ginger and squeeze the pulp to get about 2 tsp ginger juice. According to my mum, this step is very important but when I’m busy, I just substitute this step with a few slices of ginger. Add the juice to the marinated chicken pieces. Update: Use a ginger grater to grate ginger the easy, fast and safe way.
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) Slice the lup cheong diagonally. Tip: Soak them in hot water for 5 minutes before removing wax covering (thanks reader Michell for sharing the tip via comments).
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) Wash rice and add water to cook rice. Set to cook. Open the lid of the rice cooker to check when the rice is almost 3/4 cooked (the water is almost dried up; pictured). Each rice cooker is different and will take different timing to reach this state. for mine, it takes 20 minutes.
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) At this point, add the chicken, lup cheong and a few slices of ginger. I did not add the leftover marinade sauce as it will cause the rice to become soggy. Close the rice cooker lid and continue cooking. My rice cooker cook for a further 20 minutes before it sounds the chime indicating the rice is done . You should “keep warm” the food for at least another 20 minutes after the rice is cooked to ensure that the chicken and lup cheong is cooked through.
 "Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe) Use a spatula to mix the ingredients thoroughly with the rice. After doing so, your rice will become brown from the soy marinade. Garnish with fried shallots and chopped spring onions.

94 Responses to “Claypot Chicken Rice, Rice Cooker Recipe”

1. vianice Ng — May 4, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Hi can I know where to get the grater in your photo? My grater stucked the ginger in the holes and it was so.difficult to remove it. I have to use tooth pick to dig the ginger out

I want to try out this recipe usingy Philips rice cooker.

• Isis replied: — March 1st, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

If you don’t have a grater on hand, you can use a metal spoon to grate it. Use the rim of the spoon in a scraping action to remove the peel. Then continue to do so and you will get grated ginger. I dislike using the metal grater due to my irrational fear of the sharp edges!

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

great tip! I too, hate metal grater for ginger. I bought a $2 ceramic grater for ginger (can get from Daiso or Isetan)

2. Esther — June 26, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Can I use a slow cooker to cook this lup cheong rice?

3. Shirley — September 10, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

Thank you for the recipe, will try it soon.

4. alina — March 10, 2014 @ 7:29 am

Just tried out the recipe, it’s perfect!! added some of my favorite ingredients like dried mushrooms and black fungus.. also marinated chicken with sesame oil and added garlic when cooking.. first try and ultra successful!! GREAT Recipe!! =D THX!!! btw im using a cheapo Akira rice cooker, really bad at keeping warm temperature but it works fine for just cooking~

Here’s my detailed marinade for the chicken thigh:
    2 tbsp of oyster sauce
    2 tbsp of low salt dark soy sauce
    1 chicken thigh
    15 slices of ginger (lazy to grate or squeeze – troublesome to clean up)
    6 pieces of dried mushrooms (cut into quarter)
    ——————–
    Cooking method:
    1) add in the 2.5 cups of rice (washed)
    2) add in chicken thigh and all marinade
    3) add in 2 head garlic (peeled into cloves)
    4) add in a 1 cup of chicken broth (using chicken stock)
    5) add in another 2 cups* of water
    6) start cooking, when it’s ready, let it keep warm for about 15-20mins
    7) ready to eat
    * Amount of water add according to my type of rice, rice : water = 1 : 1.2 cups

5. Crystal — March 13, 2014 @ 9:01 am

Hi Wiffy, what a wonderful recipe! I’m a Singaporean, currently studying in the US. As a Singaporean studying overseas, I have to say that your website save me from always “googling” all those dishes that my mum used to cook back home! Now I know where to go if I’m craving home cooked food! Thank you once again :)

PS, I was wondering if I can cook this dish in a basic rice cooker that only have a cook and warm button?

• wiffy replied: — March 13th, 2014 @ 11:56 am

You can, but if you are worried that the chicken will not be cooked, you can stir-fry the marinated chicken briefly (just enough for the chicken to be cooked on the surface) before transferring to rice cooker.

6. Crystal — March 13, 2014 @ 9:03 am

Hi, i was wondering what kind of mushrooms to use for this claypot rice? I can’t use the normal whole button mushrooms right?

• wiffy replied: — March 13th, 2014 @ 11:55 am

dried mushrooms will be good, but you can use fresh ones as well (shiitake or any of your favourite)

7. Sylvia — April 14, 2014 @ 6:39 pm

Hi, I’m wondering, is it okay to just dump the chicken in together when I cook the rice? Will that alter the taste of this dish? Thanks.

8. Beth — June 21, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

Hi wiffy, we tried this receipe today for dinner and it was a total success. We aused chicken stock instead if water for cooking the rice. Very yummy and the chicken was moist. We foresee this to be a regular feature in our dinner options. Thanks a lot for sharing this receipe!!

9. Kelly — September 20, 2014 @ 11:23 am

May I know if I can cook this in a slow cooker/crock pot?

1 4 5 6