Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Chicken & Daikon Soup (Rice Cooker Recipe)

Chicken & Daikon Soup Recipe

Check Out: Claypot Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

Last week, I had the great pleasure of meeting tigerfish from teczcape when she came back to Singapore for a few days. Tigerfish recently published a cookbook, The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook, and I was really lucky to receive a signed copy from her. Prior to tigerfish’s cookbook, the only thing I know how to cook in the rice cooker is … rice! So imagine my pleasant surprise, as I was flipping through the cookbook, to find more than 300 rice cooker recipes. And it’s not just rice you can cook in a rice cooker. Thanks to her cookbook, I learned how to make a hearty pot of chicken and daikon (white radish) soup. This is a nourishing soup with “cooling” & “qi-balancing” properties. Daikon, like luo han guo (monk’s fruit), is known to be good for soothing a sore throat. With the rice cooker method, the water boils quickly and the soup cooks itself with minimal effort (plus, no need to watch the flame like stove top cooking).  The chicken was so tender from the prolonged yet gentle simmering, the meat was practically falling off the bones.

Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook
What I like most about this book is: despite the versatility of rice cooker cooking, you don’t even need a high-end rice cooker to cook the dishes. All the dishes, I was told, can be whipped up in a traditional and inexpensive “keep warm/cook” rice cooker. I think this book is perfect for those into one-pot cooking, and extremely useful for people who wish to expand their range of cooking with minimal appliances. The book brings out the versatility of one-pot cooking teaching you techniques such as steaming, stir-frying, stewing and braising, all in the rice cooker. Now I know that besides rice, I can also cook pasta, congee, seafood, desserts, curries, stews, vegetables and more.

Chicken & Daikon Soup Recipe

I would like to congratulate tigerfish on her cookbook. I must say that despite being academically brilliant, running a successful blog and now, a cookbook author, tigerfish is one of the most humble and down-to-earth person I know. I wish her continued success & more opportunities in future to bring her passions to even greater heights :)

67 Responses to “Chicken & Daikon Soup (Rice Cooker Recipe)”

1. food-4tots — October 7, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

What a great idea to cook soup!! Thanks for sharing. Tigerfish is really talented! I never know that rice cooker can be used in so many interesting ways.

2. juhuacha — October 11, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Tried making this soup yesterday. It tastes great. Sometimes I will combine carrot and white radish, so that my soup will be filled with the sweetness of both veg.

• wiffy replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

glad it turned out well. Great idea to combine carrot and daikon! in the actual recipe by tigerfish, it said you can substitute carrots with daikon, or use a combi of both. I’m sure the carrots add extra sweetness and taste to the soup :)

3. Wendy — October 24, 2010 @ 11:41 am

I discover your blog from the Cooking Hut to PigPig to you. Love this dish but I only have a very basic rick cooker, one button National brand. Once the rice is done, I can’t continue to keep it warm. I love looking at your dish, though. Like your blog. Will come back to visit.

4. Wendy — October 24, 2010 @ 11:44 am

I only have a one button basic 15-year old National brand rice cooker. the button pops up when the rice is done. I guess I cannot cook this dish with it. I love this dish, may be try it in a slow cooker.

• wiffy replied: — October 24th, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

Hi Wendy, thanks for your kind words. Yup, you can either cook this in a slow cooker, or use a soup pot and simmer it on the stove top :)

5. elaine — October 28, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

i use rice cooker to cook soups very often, as it can be kept warm for everyone. I choose to buy one with multi function, so other than cooking rice, soups and porridge are cook very often too.. And it is so easy to use. Just place them in the rice cooker and set the cooking time, eg, 1 hrs or 2hrs. I do not even have to watch over it. Everything is ready at dinnertime. And as i am using the multi function rice cooker, i realise that the water will not dry up.

6. xiuhui — January 11, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Hi. Can i follow the steps and cook on the pot instead of rice cooker?

• wiffy replied: — January 12th, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Hi xiuhui, you definitely can. You probably need to increase the water (say to 1.2 to 1.5l, then adjust if you need more), because there is less reduction in the rice cooker.

7. nic — June 13, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Hi,

Love your recipes!!! Keep up the fantastic work! May I ask where can I get the “The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook” from? Thanks very much!

• wiffy replied: — June 17th, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Hi, if you are in Singapore, try local major bookstores such as Borders and Kino. You can call them for stock availability before visiting.

8. milkcandies — January 16, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

can this recipe be used with a slow cooker too?

• wiffy replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

yes you can :)

9. Cecilia Teh — March 26, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

I guess my question is rather stupid, but do you cook the rice first or the soup first?

I can never figure out on how to keep the rice warm if I cook the soup last. My kitchen is too small to put in a microwave oven, so I either use the rice cooker or the stove.

• wiffy replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

Hi Cecilia, how about cooking the rice over the stove?

10. PT — April 16, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

Could I check what is the right or minimum size of rice cooker to do this?
    I have a small panasonic one which def does not fit a drum stick in…

• wiffy replied: — April 18th, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

The rice cooker has to be big enough to fit in all the contents.