Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Chicken & Daikon Soup (Rice Cooker Recipe)

Chicken & Daikon Soup Recipe

Check Out: Claypot Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

Last week, I had the great pleasure of meeting tigerfish from teczcape when she came back to Singapore for a few days. Tigerfish recently published a cookbook, The Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook, and I was really lucky to receive a signed copy from her. Prior to tigerfish’s cookbook, the only thing I know how to cook in the rice cooker is … rice! So imagine my pleasant surprise, as I was flipping through the cookbook, to find more than 300 rice cooker recipes. And it’s not just rice you can cook in a rice cooker. Thanks to her cookbook, I learned how to make a hearty pot of chicken and daikon (white radish) soup. This is a nourishing soup with “cooling” & “qi-balancing” properties. Daikon, like luo han guo (monk’s fruit), is known to be good for soothing a sore throat. With the rice cooker method, the water boils quickly and the soup cooks itself with minimal effort (plus, no need to watch the flame like stove top cooking).  The chicken was so tender from the prolonged yet gentle simmering, the meat was practically falling off the bones.

Everything Rice Cooker Cookbook
What I like most about this book is: despite the versatility of rice cooker cooking, you don’t even need a high-end rice cooker to cook the dishes. All the dishes, I was told, can be whipped up in a traditional and inexpensive “keep warm/cook” rice cooker. I think this book is perfect for those into one-pot cooking, and extremely useful for people who wish to expand their range of cooking with minimal appliances. The book brings out the versatility of one-pot cooking teaching you techniques such as steaming, stir-frying, stewing and braising, all in the rice cooker. Now I know that besides rice, I can also cook pasta, congee, seafood, desserts, curries, stews, vegetables and more.

Chicken & Daikon Soup Recipe

I would like to congratulate tigerfish on her cookbook. I must say that despite being academically brilliant, running a successful blog and now, a cookbook author, tigerfish is one of the most humble and down-to-earth person I know. I wish her continued success & more opportunities in future to bring her passions to even greater heights :)

66 Responses to “Chicken & Daikon Soup (Rice Cooker Recipe)”

1. Roxan — October 4, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

This soup looks so delicious and hearty! the weather has completely cooled down where I live so it definitely feels like soup season now. I need to start using my rice cooker for more than just rice!

2. lisaiscooking — October 4, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

How fun to meet tigerfish! And, your soup looks delicious.

3. Judy — October 4, 2010 @ 10:50 pm

Hi Noobcook,
    You mean Hui Leng was in singapore! Gee I would have love to meet her! I’m still waiting for borders to call me – I place an order for her book 2 weeks ago.

• tigerfish replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Judy, hope I can meet you next time. It was kinda rushed this time. :D
      Thanks for your support.

4. Candy — October 4, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

I’m so excited to try this because I’m currently living in employee housing, and although we have a shared kitchen, I have just a rice cooker and toaster oven in my room. Thanks for the post and I may have to buy that cookbook! ^_^

5. Yummy, looks very good.

6. mycookinghut — October 5, 2010 @ 1:41 am

Definitely need to try this out with my rice cooker!

7. Yc — October 5, 2010 @ 1:54 am

hi wiffy,
    why is there the need to discard the first round of liquid that cooks the raw chicken initially??? aren’t we throwing away a precious pot of chicken stock??

• tigerfish replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 4:43 am

The first round “simulates” blanching. Personally, I blanch my chicken to get rid of the “blood” in the chicken. The “blood” typically gives the soup a strong “gamey” smell. Notice the first round of liquid just cooks raw chicken (on the outide) for 5-8 minutes?

• wiffy replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 11:52 am

yup, I always blanch the meat for Chinese soups. Besides the reason that tigerfish stated above, another reason for doing so is to remove the scum bits, so that the soup is clear when cooked :)

8. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — October 5, 2010 @ 1:57 am

Really reminds me of many soothing delicious soups my parents would make me growing up, especially when I was sick.

9. tigerfish — October 5, 2010 @ 4:49 am

wiffy, thanks for trying the recipe. I hope it was not too complicated to “Cook” and “Warm” the soup in your rice cooker. This book might be more handy for those without a stove-top at all. Like one of my ex-co-workers used to tell me, when she was staying in the dorm/hostel, she cooked everything in the rice cooker! :O ….
    cos rice cooker was “plug and play”. lol

• wiffy replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I like this new way of making soup actually, I will probably cook more Chinese soups with this method. Thanks again for sharing these recipes in your cookbook xo

10. Christine@Christine's Recipes — October 5, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

I can’t imagine my life if without a rice cooker at home. But as you said, I just cook rice with it, haha….Being inspired by your post, I might try to use my rice cooker more frequently.
    I love visiting Tigerfish’s blog too. She’s got so many healthy recipes. I bet her cookbook is surely a keeper for those who want more healthy, one-pot cooking ideas.

• tigerfish replied: — October 6th, 2010 @ 2:11 am

Christine, thanks for your support at my blog :)