Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Claypot Chicken with Bitter Gourd

Claypot Chicken with Bittergourd

Where food pairings go, I think chicken and bitter gourd is like a marriage made in heaven. I believe that those who do not like bitter gourd may find the vegetable more acceptable when cooked in this way. In this recipe, the chicken and bitter gourd are simmered in a claypot (苦瓜焖鸡) with a savoury taucheo (soya bean paste) sauce.

You May Also Like: Bitter Gourd with Egg Recipe

This is total comfort food to me. Claypot is excellent for braises and stews like this because not only does it add flavour to the food, it also conduct the heat evenly throughout the casserole and you can serve the dish right away in the claypot. I cooked this pot in advance and heat it up for dinner. If you do not have a claypot, you can still cook this dish using a wok or pot.

Claypot Chicken with Bittergourd

30 Responses to “Claypot Chicken with Bitter Gourd”

1. Lan — October 20, 2011 @ 3:35 am

i am curious about the use of the bitter gourd. you mention that the salt takes some of the bitterness away, how much exactly? and is the rest of the dish bitter in anyway?

personally, i love bittergourd, in small doses and would like to introduce it to my american boyfriend but it has to be a right dish to ensure he’ll try it again…

• wiffy replied: — October 20th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

yes it takes away some but not all of the bitterness, maybe about 1/3? If you cut the bitter gourd to chunks first and apply salt to the exposed area, more bitterness can be removed. Some people also par boil the bitter gourd in salted water, but I personally don’t like that method. The gravy has a slight bitter taste, the chicken is not bitter.

2. Anna — October 20, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Wow! A traditional claypot! That sounds interesting…Hmmmm…bittergourd? I know it is very nutritious but not really a fan of it. I have learned though that if it has been soaked in water it becomes less bitter in taste, not sure if the nutrients get washed off along the process. This recipe looks good though, quite agressive! Thanks for sharing!

3. masterofboots — October 20, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Does a claypot take very long to start cooking (like slow cooker)? If not, i think i will go and buy one. It would be so nice to cook and serve in one :P

• wiffy replied: — October 20th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

No, it’s about the same as heating up a normal pot. But instead of using high heat right away, start with medium flame to heat up the pot, then gradually increase the temperature. At least that’s what I do, in case the sudden change in temperature cause the clay pot to break.

4. food-4tots — October 21, 2011 @ 9:06 am

I haven’t eaten bitter gourd for a long time because I have a picky eater (senior) who refuses to try it no matter what. :(

5. Angie@Angiesrecipes — October 23, 2011 @ 12:39 am

A perfect autumn dish. I miss bitter gourd.

6. lisaiscooking — October 25, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

Clay pot cooking is so lovely. I’ve been reading about clay pots used for Moroccan food lately. They hold heat so well, and they look great. This dish does sound like total comfort food!

7. maria danisa d. gonzales — July 19, 2012 @ 8:48 pm

how can we proceed/make that claypot chicken w/ bitter gourd if we didnt have an sesame oooilll?

are the claypot chicken w/ bitter gourd are tasty,aren’t it?

8. dvdhen — July 27, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

i a like this recipe but can you show me how get rid of the bitter tatse..

9. Wendy — August 18, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Just cooked this dish today and it smelled heavenly! I learned from a book that we should ‘scald’ the bittergourd and chicken in hot oil first before cooking it in the claypot to preserve the moisture as well as retain the shape :)

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:39 am

that is a great tip, thanks for sharing! I think all zi char scald most of the ingredient before stir-frying first, but I won’t do it for home-cooking because of the work, lol