Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice

I just bought a new oven (Rowenta Pro 9080) a few weeks back and the first thing I cooked with it is my favourite baked rice. The photo you see above is the baked rice freshly out of the oven, taken on my kitchen countertop. As a kid, it was such a treat to eat baked rice at Swensen’s and now as an adult, it is an even greater treat to be able to cook this at home – baked rice anytime I want, with unlimited variations (check out the different baked rice recipes at bottom of page). I love the end result of my first attempt at chicken and mushroom baked rice  – the taste of this recipe is quite close to Swensen’s baked rice which I simply adore since young, thanks to CookBake Legacy whom I referenced and adapted the recipe from. Bake this just before serving to enjoy the freshly melted cheese. If you are having a home party, bake this in disposable aluminium tray for fuss-free clean ups – this recipe can feed quite a few folks and so far, it has been a hit with my friends.

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 200g (white or brown) button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g chicken fillet, cubed
- 15g butter
- a few tablespoons uncooked Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I use mild red cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice (before baked)

Directions

1. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms and cut chicken pieces, stir-fry for a few minutes until the surface of the chicken pieces is white.
2. Add the washed uncooked rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well. Transfer contents of wok/pan to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
3. When the rice is cooked, portion out the rice into individual oven-safe baking dishes (or use a 20cm x 20 cm square alumnium tray) until about half the height of the dish.
4. Spread some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
5. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley.

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Baked in an alumnium square pan – great for home parties

More baked rice recipes:

159 Responses to “Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice”

1. UndergradCook — March 20, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

Hey I just want to thank you for the great idea. I made a baked rice with smoked salmon, onions and broccoli with pasta sauce as a base. It was so easy and my entire family loved it. :)

• wiffy replied: — March 21st, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Hi there, great flavours and combination you have there! glad everyone liked it and thanks for your note :)

2. bwee — April 5, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

Hi!

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I added 1/2 chopped yellow onion and the result was very fragrant. btw can I check if the campbell soup is straight from the can or have to be cooked first? I used it straight from the can and the rice turned out to be rather dry as compared to swensen’s. So I am wondering if we have to prepare the soup (as in add water and boil first)? Would appreciate if you could enlighten me on this.

Thanks! ^_^

3. Helen Wong — April 8, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

Can i use oven toaster to bake rice?

4. Xuan — April 13, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

Amazing dish. Simple and presented well. (: Appearance looks delicious!

5. Mandy — May 23, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Hi noobcook, I really want to try this recipe – do u think it will work with brown rice?

• Mandy replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Nevermind, I just made it with brown rice and it was fabulous! Not as sinful…=P Thanks for the great recipe!

• wiffy replied: — May 25th, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

really sorry for my late reply… and glad to hear it works with brown rice, too :)

6. Crystal — August 17, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

hi, thanks for sharing this easy recipe =)

for step 7, after heating in the oven for 5mins (instead of the 20mins that you wrote), the cheese already turn slightly brown. will this affect the flavor / taste of the baked rice as my baking time is only 5mins? my baked rice taste nice but maybe can be better at future attempts? =)

• wiffy replied: — September 8th, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Hi Crystal, sorry I miss your comment. My cheese starting browning slightly after 15 minutes. If the oven rack (height) is adjustable, don’t position it too close to the heating coil (assuming it’s on top). also, you can adjust the temperature slightly lower as each oven is different. I feel that as long as it taste good to u, you don’t have to worry about the timing and adapt the recipe to your own use :)

7. Stephanie — September 7, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Hi there.

Sorry if i could clarify if you just fry the rice grains with other ingredients before cooking the ricein a ricecooker? Then after that transfer all into ricecooker and fill up water to pinky finger and cook? :/

• wiffy replied: — September 8th, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Hi Stephanie, that’s correct – fry the rice grains… then transfer the contents of the wok to the rice cooker. Use the amount of water u usually use to cook plain rice. Hope this helps :)

• Stephanie replied: — September 8th, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Okay. So after i fry chicken n mushroom first, then after awhile i just throw garlic salt n pepper in there? Then after how long then transfer to ricecooker? First time cooking >.<

After ricecooker cook the rice hor, the i scoop the rice to the plate then put cheese and campbell raw one hor? To the surface, then just throw it in the oven hor?
        Sorry for asking so many questions! Haha.

• wiffy replied: — September 8th, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

“So after i fry chicken n mushroom first, then after awhile i just throw garlic salt n pepper in there?” Yes

“Then after how long then transfer to ricecooker?” If you are using the old type of rice cooker (keep warm/cook), let it cool about 20 mins. If it’s the modern type with lots of buttons, you can let it cool for 5 mins. Because if the rice mixture is too hot, the rice cooker *may* shorten the cooking time (depends on the model), making the rice undercooked.

“After ricecooker cook the rice hor, the i scoop the rice to the plate then put cheese and campbell raw one hor? ” Yes, cheese and campbell soup are raw.

“To the surface, then just throw it in the oven hor?” Yes! :D

8. Kathlyn Tay — December 24, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    Thanks for sharing the receipe. I have just bought the Oven – Rowenta model: OC3838 and the 1st dish that I wanted to try is {Bake Rice} that why I am seaching for the receipe. I shall try this for my family next week and advise what is the outcome.

Thanks,
    Kathlyn Tay

9. Shafina — February 6, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

I made this today. It’s delicious! I sprinkled in some golden raisin to add a little sweetness & tanginess to the dish.

10. Lily — February 22, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Hello! Just to check, 1.5 cups of rice is rice cup while 1.5 cups of water is normal cooking cup? My rice was rather soft and mushy.. So not sure if I had used the wrong measurements..

• wiffy replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Hi Lily! nope, both are rice cup measurements.

• Lily replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 12:41 am

I see.. Thks! I will try it again another time. Btw, you are not a noob cook.. Love your recipes!