Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice Recipe

I just bought a new oven (Rowenta Pro 9080) a few weeks back and the first thing I cooked with it is my favourite baked rice. The photo you see above is the baked rice freshly out of the oven, taken on my kitchen countertop.

More baked rice recipes:

As a kid, it was such a treat to eat baked rice at Swensen’s and now as an adult, it is an even greater treat to be able to cook this at home – baked rice anytime I want, with unlimited variations (check out the links above). I love the end resultย  – the taste of this recipe is quite close to Swensen’s baked rice which I simply adore since young, thanks to CookBake Legacy whom I referenced and adapted the recipe from. If you are having a home party, bake this in disposable aluminium tray for fuss-free clean ups – this recipe can feed quite a few folks and so far, it has been a hit with my friends.

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice Recipe

163 Responses to “Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice”

1 6 7 8 9 10 13
  1. hanushi — June 30, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

thanks a lot, wiffy. :)

are the green bits on the baked rice parsley? is it already in small bits when you buy it or you chopped the parsley into small green bits?

• wiffy replied: — June 30th, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

Yes they are dried chopped parsley (those that come in a bottle). You can use fresh one too :)

2. zaclin — August 13, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

Just made this for dinner and it was yummylicious!
    No more trips to Swensen’s for Chicken baked rice! hehehe..
    thanks a lot, wiffi :)

3. Macy — August 20, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

Just wanna share with you that i used your recipe and it came out perfect!
    Yummylicious ! It melts in your mouth :))
    There is no Swenson’s restaurant in Tokyo so cooking this reminds me of Singapore!
    Thanks Wiffy!

4. Meowmee — October 2, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Hi hi… I just tried out this and it was yummy!! Thanks for sharing this recipe.. Btw, wat would u suggest I use if I wanted to make seafood baked rice?

• wiffy replied: — October 5th, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

How about salmon, mussels, prawns, squid? :)

5. Florence — October 10, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    I used this recipe, and it was my first successful attempt at baked rice, yay! Thanks a lot for sharing! I added sweetcorn niblets too, and they went nicely! Was also thinking raisins would also be a nice touch.
    Just also wanted to point out that you didn’t account for the chicken and mushroom in the instructions (when/how to put it in the pan). But it was not a problem, it was quite easy to figure out ;)
    Thanks for sharing again!

• wiffy replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Hi Florence, thanks for your kind words and glad it went well! Corn and raisins sound like a good addition to the baked rice, thanks for the ideas.

For the chicken & mushrooms, the instructions stated step 2. Stir fry or saute them first, then add rice etc and stir fry again… before dishing them into a rice cooker to cook :)

6. fataliz — October 11, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

hi wiffy. i’m a total noob when it comes to cooking, but swensens backed rice is one of my favourites, so im determined to learn how to do this! have a few questions though..

1) if i wanna cook for 2 people, i assume the portions will scale down by half, so its 0.75 cups of rice? i have never cooked rice before, how much does 1 cup of rice equate? and how much water do i need to cook 1 cup of rice?

2) swensens recipe uses fried chicken, so i guess i will add this in after the rice is cooked (before putting in oven)?

thanks for your help!

• wiffy replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

for two persons, you can cook either 0.75 or 1 cup (the cup which usually comes with the rice bin, 1 cup = 200ml water) of rice. water is roughly until the first “line” of your pinky finger. or you can ask your mum how much water she usually add.

yup, if you have cooked fried chicken, you can add this after rice is cooked and before putting in oven. Hope it turns out well :)

7. Abigail — October 21, 2010 @ 2:29 am

Hi there,
    Thank you sooo much for the recipr, have just cooked it and it’s an amazing dish! Thanks;-)

• wiffy replied: — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Thank you!

8. Vonny — November 1, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

Hey there, I just stumbled upon your blog and I’m loving it! However, I do have a quick question regarding this recipe – after the mushroom and chicken is sauted, do I take the wok off the heat before adding the raw rice? I’m afraid of the rice being hard if I don’t ^__^; Thank you!

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

I’m sorry for my late reply. You don’t have to take the wok off the heat. You can add the rice and stir fry it for a few seconds. Then transfer the contents of the wok to the rice cooker to cook it :)

9. wy — November 10, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Wow your food pictures look wonderful! and appetisting..stumbled upon your blog when i searched for pizza..saw your pita bread pizza recipes..didn’t know we can make pizza using pita bread..then came to the baked rice section…was practically drooling at the pictures..just wondering…can i make baked rice using toaster oven? i don’t have any full pledge oven at home..only toaster oven and microwave oven..and where did you get your fish shaped ceramic dish? so cute :)

thanks…am inspired by you to make some dishes…

10. NewbieHousewife — November 19, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

Hi,
    Since I dont have an oven at home and i only have a microwave oven with grilling function , is it possible to attain the same results . I love this dish so much !

1 6 7 8 9 10 12