MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice

I just bought a new oven (Rowenta Pro 9080) a few weeks back and the first thing I cooked with it is my favourite baked rice. The photo you see above is the baked rice freshly out of the oven, taken on my kitchen countertop. As a kid, it was such a treat to eat baked rice at Swensen’s and now as an adult, it is an even greater treat to be able to cook this at home – baked rice anytime I want, with unlimited variations (check out the different baked rice recipes at bottom of page). I love the end result of my first attempt at chicken and mushroom baked rice  – the taste of this recipe is quite close to Swensen’s baked rice which I simply adore since young, thanks to CookBake Legacy whom I referenced and adapted the recipe from. Bake this just before serving to enjoy the freshly melted cheese. If you are having a home party, bake this in disposable aluminium tray for fuss-free clean ups – this recipe can feed quite a few folks and so far, it has been a hit with my friends.

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 200g (white or brown) button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g chicken fillet, cubed
- 15g butter
- a few tablespoons uncooked Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I use mild red cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice (before baked)

Directions

1. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms and cut chicken pieces, stir-fry for a few minutes until the surface of the chicken pieces is white.
2. Add the washed uncooked rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well. Transfer contents of wok/pan to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
3. When the rice is cooked, portion out the rice into individual oven-safe baking dishes (or use a 20cm x 20 cm square alumnium tray) until about half the height of the dish.
4. Spread some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
5. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley.

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Baked in an alumnium square pan – great for home parties

More baked rice recipes:

156 Responses to “Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice”

1 5 6 7 8 9 12
  1. Cyn — November 11, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

Wow nice and yummy looking photos! Will try out yr recipe tonight. Already bookmark yr site. Thanks

• wiffy replied: — November 12th, 2009 @ 9:32 am

Hi Cyn, hope you like this recipe when you try it! Give me your feedback if any :)

2. stargirl — December 7, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

i love swensens’ baked rice! i’ve just tried out your recipe and i used some pecorino cheese for pungency as well. the chicken cubes were a tad dry (i’ll add cornstarch in the future) and add more soup next time, but overall, your recipe made for some yummy baked rice! :D

• wiffy replied: — December 7th, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

pecorino cheese? sounds good! I’ll try it next time. Glad you like the recipe and thanks for sharing the tips :)

3. abcde — December 18, 2009 @ 1:00 pm

do we cook the chicken together with the rice in the rice cooker too?

• wiffy replied: — December 18th, 2009 @ 3:55 pm

Hi abcde, I pan fry the chicken pieces in a wok till they are white, then I transfer everything (chicken included) in the rice cooker to cook. Hope this helps.

4. Gail — December 23, 2009 @ 9:43 am

Hi! Thanks for your recipe! My friends loved it! Except I was a bit lost at how much rice and how much water to cook the rice in the rice cooker. (I am REALLY a noobcook) But nevertheless, the campbell soup was a sure winner. :) Thanks for the great photos and instructions! :up:

• wiffy replied: — January 10th, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

Hi gail, I’m glad it was a success hehe … Thanks for your kind words :)

5. Li — January 11, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

Hi judging by the pics and the rave reviews I can’t wait to try out your recipe. Just to check, your few tablespoons of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup is straight from the can or already diluted with water and cooked? Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

I use it straight from the can, not necessary to dilute with water. Hope you like the baked rice when you try it out! :)

6. chieh — January 29, 2010 @ 7:07 am

hi! i just tried your recipe today and it’s great!!! :) especially so since im away from singapore, and it feels good to have warm comfort food in winter :D thanks for sharing! :D

• wiffy replied: — January 29th, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Hi Chieh, glad to hear you like it! Nothing feels more comforting than a warm plate of home cooked food, especially when you’re experiencing winter in another country. Thanks for your note! :-)

7. DONOVAN — March 7, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

Is it healthy ? I’m doing a project and it requires a dish suitable for an obese person. I was wondering if this dish is suitable for use ?

• wiffy replied: — March 7th, 2010 @ 9:50 pm

cheese is not the most slimming foods around lol … why don’t you try steamed food or Chinese soups?

8. xtrimge — March 29, 2010 @ 9:55 am

NICE Nice… making me hunry sio.. 8O

9. Foodly — May 17, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

Love this~
    Can i use this for my test =P Home Economic test~

Liffy

• wiffy replied: — May 17th, 2010 @ 10:24 pm

Sure Liffy, all the best for your Home Econs test :D

10. hanushi — June 30, 2010 @ 12:15 am

Can I just use cheddar cheese solely instead of two types of cheese? :)

• wiffy replied: — June 30th, 2010 @ 11:05 am

hi hanushi, yes you can. You can also use solely Mozzarella or other cheese you like too :)

1 5 6 7 8 9 11