Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice

I just bought a new oven (Rowenta Pro 9080) a few weeks back and the first thing I cooked with it is my favourite baked rice. The photo you see above is the baked rice freshly out of the oven, taken on my kitchen countertop. As a kid, it was such a treat to eat baked rice at Swensen’s and now as an adult, it is an even greater treat to be able to cook this at home – baked rice anytime I want, with unlimited variations (check out the different baked rice recipes at bottom of page). I love the end result of my first attempt at chicken and mushroom baked rice  – the taste of this recipe is quite close to Swensen’s baked rice which I simply adore since young, thanks to CookBake Legacy whom I referenced and adapted the recipe from. Bake this just before serving to enjoy the freshly melted cheese. If you are having a home party, bake this in disposable aluminium tray for fuss-free clean ups – this recipe can feed quite a few folks and so far, it has been a hit with my friends.

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 200g (white or brown) button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g chicken fillet, cubed
- 15g butter
- a few tablespoons uncooked Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I use mild red cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice (before baked)

Directions

1. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms and cut chicken pieces, stir-fry for a few minutes until the surface of the chicken pieces is white.
2. Add the washed uncooked rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well. Transfer contents of wok/pan to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
3. When the rice is cooked, portion out the rice into individual oven-safe baking dishes (or use a 20cm x 20 cm square alumnium tray) until about half the height of the dish.
4. Spread some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
5. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley.

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Baked in an alumnium square pan – great for home parties

More baked rice recipes:

156 Responses to “Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice”

1 4 5 6 7 8 12
  1. wiffy — April 13, 2009 @ 10:03 am

Thanks Angeline =)

2. Susan — May 8, 2009 @ 11:22 am

Hi Wiffy,
    I searched, found your Baked Rice recipe and intend to try it out this weekend.
    Just one question – which is better – to cook all ingredients and rice in the rice cooker together; or should I first cook rice in the rice cooker, scoop it out when done, then baked with all ingredients and meat in the oven? Thanks so much for your help and I am very excited to try this now.

• wiffy replied: — May 8th, 2009 @ 12:33 pm

Hi Susan, I personally prefer to fry them in a wok with the rice, then cook in the rice cooker first before baking so that all the flavours are infused. Unless u have stuff like hot dog which you can consider stirring in with the rice when it’s cooked. Hope you like the recipe when you try it =)

3. nat — July 10, 2009 @ 11:27 pm

hi thr.. can i ask if can i change the rice into brown rice? if it is possible, how long to cook e brown rice?:D

• wiffy replied: — July 15th, 2009 @ 8:26 pm

Hi nat, sorry for my late reply. I’ve never cooked brown rice before, so I don’t know if it will be suitable. It may be a bit dry and rough. But no harm experimenting ;)

4. sue — July 19, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

Hi hi. may i ask…when you fry the rice with the other ingredients, is the rice cooked or uncooked? and the garlics too, are they raw or cooked? :D

• wiffy replied: — July 19th, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

Hi Sue, the rice and the garlic are uncooked when you fry them in the pan :)

5. Serene — July 21, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

Was looking for baked rice recipe which brought me to your site. I say, love your beautiful pictures and easy recipes! I bookmarked your site~~ :XO:

• wiffy replied: — July 21st, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Serene. Hope you like the recipes when you try them out :-)

6. Tony — August 19, 2009 @ 11:46 am

Hi wiffy
    thanks for the great recipe you have put up. Did a few tweaks to it; For healthier choice, I’ve used brown rice and turkey meat. And also replaced butter with olive oil. Work just fine :D

• wiffy replied: — September 14th, 2009 @ 8:45 pm

Thanks for your feedback! I like your healthier version with the olive oil, brown rice and turkey meat. Sounds delish :-)

7. sam — September 14, 2009 @ 8:07 pm

Hi wiffy,
    thanks for the great recipe.I replace the chicken fillet with chicken meat as i could not find chicken fillet in the supermarket.Is it alright if i don’t put cheddar cheese.Hope forward to see your reply :lol: :-)

• wiffy replied: — September 14th, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

Yeah it’s fine if you leave out the cheddar cheese. You can use other cheese such as Mozarella alone :)

8. Jun — September 16, 2009 @ 9:50 am

Campbell soup use instant one or can? n which type wildmushroom soup or creamy mushroom soup? :o

• wiffy replied: — September 16th, 2009 @ 9:58 am

Hi Jun, I used Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom, canned type.

9. eyes.rolling — September 21, 2009 @ 7:07 am

I’m almost done with this :)

I also added some green beans. Dunno how it’s gonna be like yet, but it’d better be good hehe.
    Thanks a lot :) This is my lunch at school tomorrow yay!

10. gourmet traveller — October 14, 2009 @ 12:24 am

I love Swensen’s baked rice and there’s nothing similar here in London so have been looking for a recipe to try at home for ages – will definitely give this a go!

1 4 5 6 7 8 11