Pandan Waffles Recipe Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice

I just bought a new oven (Rowenta Pro 9080) a few weeks back and the first thing I cooked with it is my favourite baked rice. The photo you see above is the baked rice freshly out of the oven, taken on my kitchen countertop. As a kid, it was such a treat to eat baked rice at Swensen’s and now as an adult, it is an even greater treat to be able to cook this at home – baked rice anytime I want, with unlimited variations (check out the different baked rice recipes at bottom of page). I love the end result of my first attempt at chicken and mushroom baked rice  – the taste of this recipe is quite close to Swensen’s baked rice which I simply adore since young, thanks to CookBake Legacy whom I referenced and adapted the recipe from. Bake this just before serving to enjoy the freshly melted cheese. If you are having a home party, bake this in disposable aluminium tray for fuss-free clean ups – this recipe can feed quite a few folks and so far, it has been a hit with my friends.

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 200g (white or brown) button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g chicken fillet, cubed
- 15g butter
- a few tablespoons uncooked Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I use mild red cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Chicken & Mushroom Baked Rice (before baked)

Directions

1. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms and cut chicken pieces, stir-fry for a few minutes until the surface of the chicken pieces is white.
2. Add the washed uncooked rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well. Transfer contents of wok/pan to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
3. When the rice is cooked, portion out the rice into individual oven-safe baking dishes (or use a 20cm x 20 cm square alumnium tray) until about half the height of the dish.
4. Spread some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
5. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (392°F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley.

Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Baked in an alumnium square pan – great for home parties

More baked rice recipes:

156 Responses to “Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice”

1. jack — March 9, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Looks good and nice, ingredient also suites my taste Will try to make it for tonite’s dinner….
    will try and giv some comment…

2. Cassandra — April 1, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

I only got 50 mins to cook this ? do i have enough time ?

3. polkadots — April 7, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

Hi Wiffy

Great recipe :) am digging into my own portion of baked rice right now! However, i feel the rice is a little dry. Shd the Cream of mushroom soup have been mixed into the rice? As I’m eating, I mix it and it’s less dry that way :)

• wiffy replied: — April 9th, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

Hi polkadots, yes, if you like the rice to be more moist or the sauce to be more evenly mixed, mix the mushroom soup with the rice instead of a layer on top. Thanks for your feedback, I will incorporate it in the recipe :)

4. Daphne — June 20, 2012 @ 2:34 am

Hi i’ve some doubts regarding the second step ” Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.” You meant add the washed rice which means the uncooked rice? And “Wait for the rice mixture to cool” what you mean by waiting them to cool?

Sorry for these questions as it’s my first time preparing baked rice on my own.

• wiffy replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

Yes, I am referring to uncooked rice. I have re-worded the recipe instructions so that it is clearer. Hope this helps.

• Daphne replied: — June 23rd, 2012 @ 2:12 am

Thanks! That indeed helped alot but i would like to ask, since the water is added to cook the rice and at the same time the cooked chicken pieces are put together with it, won’t it turn damp and soggy or taste less nicer? Or is there any other ways?

So sorry for the trouble again!

5. kevin — August 15, 2012 @ 5:24 am

Just couple of days ago I found out that it is possible to bake rice. I found some good recipes in the internet, and this is one of them. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Thank you!

6. Kel — December 1, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

I followed your recipe and the baked rice was delicious! (Only the chicken is a little over cooked)
    thank you! :)

7. KFalconus — December 2, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

hmmm…looks good..i should try that one later :)

8. Ida Lee — January 16, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Hi Wiffi,

If I cannot find the Campbell soup, can I replace it with other?

• wiffy replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

Yup, any brand will do.

9. natalee — February 19, 2013 @ 8:06 am

EHMAHGAWD LOOKS SO TASTY AND IM HUNGRYYYYYYYY AHHHHH

10. Alice — March 16, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

Is it ok to cook the rice first then mix everything together?

• wiffy replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 3:38 pm