Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Chap Chye (Mixed Vegetables Stew)

Chap Chye (Mixed Vegetables Stew) Recipe

Happy Chinese New Year (CNY) to all those celebrating this holiday! Yesterday was CNY eve and I cooked a huge pot of chap chye (mixed vegetables stew) for lunch. I brought the rest  to my family’s reunion dinner and I was quite pleased when I hear that my chap chye was delicious, a compliment especially coming from the older folks.

You May Also Like: Buddha’s Delight Recipe

This is a Nonya dish, but my way of cooking is not quite Nonya as it is deliberately not soupy, because I tried to duplicate my mum’s style of dry chap chye which I loved as a kid. This is a popular vegetarian dish to consume during Chinese New Year (and also Vesak Day).  The ingredients have auspicious meanings, especially fat choy (dried moss) which sounds like “fatt choi” (striking it rich).

Ingredients for Buddha's Delight & Chap Chye

Many of the ingredients are dried goods, so you can stock up your pantry and whip this up quite readily.

38 Responses to “Chap Chye (Mixed Vegetables Stew)”

1 2 3 4
  1. Woolly — February 3, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

A very colourful arrangement of the chap chye! Thumbs up for ur recipe!

2. peachkins — February 3, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

This looks amazing!!!

3. cathy — February 3, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

I love chap chye~ :)

4. Selba — February 3, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Gong Xi Fa Cai…

Haven’t eaten this dish for such a long time! :)

5. Ellena — February 3, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Honestly this is my 1st time seeing Chap Chye with Gingko nut… em… interesting. Would try this out when the stores open to get some of the ingredients :) Wish you and your family a Happy Chinese Luna New Year.

6. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — February 3, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

One of my favorite noodles (their texture is just so fun!) butI’d never have thought to put the bean curd sticks in there. I love it, and happy CNY to you as well!

7. Christine@Christine's Recipes — February 3, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Just had this mixed vegetable stew for tonight’s dinner. :)
    Happy New Year !

8. pigpigscorner — February 4, 2011 @ 12:06 am

I made something similar too! Happy Chinese New Year!

9. Roxan — February 4, 2011 @ 12:08 am

This looks great! I’ve never had Nonya chap chye before but it looks really similar to the Korean jap chae. I’d love to try it though, and see what the differences are.

• wiffy replied: — February 7th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I would like to try the Korean jap chae one day and see the differences too :)

• Ju replied: — February 16th, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Hey Wiffy, thanks for the mention. I have made Jap Chae before, and honestly, our version Chap Chye still rocks. :P I’m biased, I guess. Ju x

10. Little Corner of Mine — February 4, 2011 @ 2:28 am

Lovely! I forgot to buy lily buds. :( Probably need to go to the Asian store this weekend.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Dinner for 2 (Kimchi Fried Rice, Daikon Chap Chye & Cincau Drink) « Tenacious Tinkering