Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe

Cereal Prawns (Cheater’s Method)

Cheater's Cereal Prawn Recipe

I suddenly thought of making cereal prawns (麦片虾) because I still have a whole bag of leftover curry leaves after cooking vegetable curry. I think curry leaves are something that you cannot leave out when making this dish because the aroma of the curry leaves is so signature in this dish.

You May Also Like: Kam Heong (Golden Fragrance) Prawns Recipe

The combination of prawns, oats, chilli and curry leaves, fried to crispy perfection, is really blissful. It’s pretty effortless and very cheap to cook this at home, especially with the cheater’s way, with a packet of instant cereal prawn mix.

Instant Cereal Prawn Mix

Note: I was using the SingLong brand, feel free to use any of your favourite brand of instant cereal prawn mix.

49 Responses to “Cereal Prawns (Cheater’s Method)”

1 2 3 4
  1. Pepy @ Indonesia Eats — June 28, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Wiffy, I always like shrimps with heads and skins on. For me, they have more flavour compare to the ones that just meat :)

However, when I serve shrimps for the people (Non-Asians) here, I usually have to peel off everything.

I bet this recipes is yummy esp with curry leaves.

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

same here – love it with the heads and skins on. not just retain the flavour but the nice shape/size also :wink:

2. jess @ Bakericious — June 28, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

this is 1 of my husband’s favourite dish, I dun really like cooking thus even it has crossed my mind of cooking this dish but still keep in the shelf :p. the prawns look delicious, like wat we eat in restaurant!

3. tigerfish — June 28, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

I almost wanted to buy that same pack of cereal prawn mix to pack in my luggage, but I resisted cos I know I may not get curry leaves so easily there :(

Like your addition of egg yolk…I did not know there was egg yolk involved in this dish :O

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

egg yolk, butter, deep frying, prawns – make this dish extra sinful but extra tasty hehe :P

4. mochachocolatarita — June 28, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

wah! have a cheating method? Always count me in!

5. Nasi Lemak Lover — June 28, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

quick ,easy and yummy to use cheating method

6. Lia Chen — June 28, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

Wiffy, cheater’s method or not … yours cooking always looks so delicious! But I do love this version, save a lot of times. We don’t have that cereal prawns mix here. Where did you buy it? I will be travelling to Singapore on Jul, 1 so perhaps I can get some later hehehe … :D

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Hi LC, oh you’re coming to Singapore, that’s exciting! You can find the cereal prawns mix at all supermarkets in Singapore … there are many brands to choose from. While you’re there, you can check out other Singapore food products like Bak Kut Teh spices, curry pastes, mee siam pastes, chilli sauces, jelly powder etc hehe ;)

7. Judy — June 28, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

Cheating or not, the dish looks delicious! Where did you buy the cereal mix? I would love to give it a try for my daughter, her favourite.

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

Hi Judy, I bought it at NTUC. I think you can find at all supermarkets, and there are many brands to choose from :)

8. wyyv — June 28, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

i love this dish.. *drooling*

9. hartati — June 28, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

This is my fav dish. usually i cooked with quaker’s oatmeals. coz i cnt find any prawn cereal at indo. On august, i ‘ll go to SINGP. I’ll shop a lot of food sauce or maybe do u have recommend of any special singp food besides bakkut teh and mee siam paste? thx :)

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2010 @ 10:27 am

go to the supermarket and look at everything … there are a lot of premixes … a lot of good stuff you may like ;)

Personally I like starflower brand bkt spices (may only be found at Cold Storage and certain stores) and Taho brand belachan chilli paste (very hot, available everywhere) … but these are just my personal preferences. The prima brand box type of instant pastes (like mee siam) seem to be popular with tourists :)

10. peachkins — June 28, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

hmmnn.. where can I get that cereal prawn mix??

1 2 3 4