Lobster Spaghetti Recipe Thai Basil Chicken Recipe Thai Holy Basil Thai Supermarket in Singapore Crispy Fried Egg Recipe Crispy Roasted Baby Potato Recipe

Cabbage Rice

Cabbage Rice Recipe

First posted in Feb 2008, updated in Apr 2015

This recipe is handed down from my mum, whom I think makes the best cabbage rice in the world. Of course, I am totally biased, but I seriously think that’s quite true :) Though this dish is popularly known locally as cabbage rice, it has other ingredients such as pork belly and mushrooms.

See Also:

The secret to making superb cabbage rice is to use the water for soaking the dried mushrooms, dried scallops and dried shrimps. If you can imagine the smell from these dried goods, that is sheer umami bliss. You also have to stir fry the ingredients in the wok briefly before transferring them to cook in the rice cooker for better flavour.

Cabbage Rice Recipe

When I look back at my past cabbage rice,  I realised that I have shredded the cabbage too finely. The cabbage shrinks considerably after cooking.

Cabbage for Cabbage Rice Recipe

So nowadays, I slice the cabbage rather coarsely (as above), which is not just a time-saver, but results in the cabbage being just the right bite-sized when cooked in the rice cooker.

36 Responses to “Cabbage Rice”

1. reena — August 1, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

I learnt this dish from my mom too ;) Are you hokkien?

2. Joo — November 26, 2009 @ 12:39 am

Used to cook it like you do (with mushrooms added but no dried scallops) but nowadays i like to substitute the pork with roasted park (烧肉). The smell from the rice cooker as the rice cooks really makes me drool!

• wiffy replied: — November 26th, 2009 @ 9:55 am

It’s a good idea to use roasted pork, the aroma is really good. Sometimes I use leftover 烧肉/char siu for fried rice and it’s so yummy.

3. henry c — March 16, 2010 @ 2:03 am

:up: its really yummy dish that i urge every1 shld try it especially u r hokkien. i like my cabbage rice with lots of cabbage, hei bi, roasted pork n not forgetting DRIED OYSTER. its really ez.. fry some shallot in rice cooker, damp everything in n add water. a bit of light soy n pepper for seasoning. :up:

• wiffy replied: — March 20th, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Hi henry, I have never added dried oysters, I am going to try it next time. Thanks for sharing!

4. quraishah — April 22, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

Hi Wiffy

Even the teochew(s) cook this dish. It reminds me of my grandma’s cabbage rice. I’m gonna try cooking it.:D

NoobCook Fan

5. Samantha — May 14, 2010 @ 11:32 pm

Hi Wiffy!

this sounds absolutely yummy n i must try it soon. Just to clarify point no 6

“6. Return the previously cooked wok back to the wok and add salt, the washed rice and shredded cabbage. Mix till even.”

I think u meant putting the pork belly back to the wok w the washed rice?

I tried the oyster sauce boy choy today n hubby loved it! Super yum n healthy! So thanks again for making me a better cook than i dreamed i could ever be.

• wiffy replied: — May 15th, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Hi Samantha, thanks for your kind words, glad your hubby like the veg.

oh dear there’s a typo, thanks for pointing out to me. Yes I meant the cooked pork belly. Hope your family likes this recipe too :)

• samantha replied: — May 17th, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

i am actually trying out this cabbage rice out tonite!! :D

Sure it will be absolutely fantabulous lo as all your other recipes!

Thanks again!

6. Clarisse — April 14, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

How long does it take for the shrimps and scallops to soften? I’m an extreme noob cook!! Thanks~ =)

• wiffy replied: — April 14th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Hi Clarisse, I think about 15 mins if you use hot water.

7. Jun — September 30, 2011 @ 9:29 am

My hokkien grandma used to make this dish and it was my FAVOURITE. We called it in hokkien kiam peng. And instead of dried scallops she put dried mushrooms and lup cheong instead :D

i’m going to try this tomorrow!

thanks! J

8. grace — October 12, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

how about adding a little salted fish instead of salt? do you think the taste will go well?

9. koko51sg — August 15, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

One of my favorite dish. If you add chinese mushrooms, the smell is heavenly for this dish.

10. Yen — February 25, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

I just tried this out, tastes great! :) substituted pork belly with leftover cny bak kwa. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

• wiffy replied: — February 26th, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

great idea to use leftover bak kwa for that! sounds yummy :)