Shaoxing (Hua Tiao) Wine Baby Spinach Ramen Eggs Recipe Cabbage Rice Recipe Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and Hotdog Recipe Acar Recipe

Cabbage Rice

Cabbage Rice Recipe

First posted in Feb 2008, updated in Apr 2015

This recipe is handed down from my mum, whom I think makes the best cabbage rice in the world. Of course, I am totally biased, but I seriously think that’s quite true :) Though this dish is popularly known locally as cabbage rice, it has other ingredients such as pork belly and mushrooms.

See Also:

The secret to making superb cabbage rice is to use the water for soaking the dried mushrooms, dried scallops and dried shrimps. If you can imagine the smell from these dried goods, that is sheer umami bliss. You also have to stir fry the ingredients in the wok briefly before transferring them to cook in the rice cooker for better flavour.

Cabbage Rice Recipe

When I look back at my past cabbage rice,  I realised that I have shredded the cabbage too finely. The cabbage shrinks considerably after cooking.

Cabbage for Cabbage Rice Recipe

So nowadays, I slice the cabbage rather coarsely (as above), which is not just a time-saver, but results in the cabbage being just the right bite-sized when cooked in the rice cooker.

33 Responses to “Cabbage Rice”

1 2 3
  1. Joyce — February 1, 2008 @ 8:20 pm

This dish is so simple and heart warming. I guess great when one needs to whip something up fast. Dried shrimp and scallops added to give a rich flavor to the the rice . Too bad I can’t eat shrimp or scallops,but I can imagine what it might taste like. Haha.

2. didally — February 5, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

I learnt this dish from my mum too! And it’s so versatile, we can practically add what we like in there. I took some pics too but haven’t post yet. lol

3. tigerfish — February 12, 2008 @ 11:17 am

Ya ya…I like cabbage rice too! I cook mine with leftover char siew. :P

4. gwen — April 21, 2008 @ 11:42 pm

my grandmother always cooked this dish when i was living with her. im really missing this cabbage rice … the only difference is she added chinese mushrooms instead of scallops and beansprouts … thanks for reminding me the sweet old days i spent with my grandmother …

5. wiffy — April 23, 2008 @ 3:53 am

Joyce, didally, tigerfish: thank you for your comments ^^

Gwen: Thank you for your sweet comment! I’m glad that this recipe of mine bring back good memories for you… And I think that Chinese mushrooms are a great addition to this dish and I might try it out next time :)

6. Y — September 12, 2008 @ 9:08 am

I’ve never had cabbage rice, but it certainly looks like my kind of thing! :)

7. wiffy — September 12, 2008 @ 5:18 pm

8. Olga — September 13, 2008 @ 9:49 am

Interesting how it seems that different cultures combine the same types of food.
    I grew up in Moscow and my mom often made a concoction of rice, cabbage, ground beef, carrots and onions: also all in one pot :)

9. Chow Vegan — September 13, 2008 @ 12:24 pm

My mom made something similar but the rice was cooked separate from the other ingredients. Your photos sure brings back memories. :-)

10. wiffy — September 16, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

Olga:: Interesting for me to learn that too. Your mom’s concoction sounds fantastic! ;)

Chow Vegan:: hehe looks our mums are good at this one dish rice meal :)

1 2 3