Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Cabbage Rice

Cabbage Rice

This is another yummy one-dish meal I learnt from my mum.  It is very easy and after partially cooking the contents in a wok, you can transfer everything to a rice cooker. I don’t usually like to eat cabbage but when shredded finely this way, it’s really delicious and easy to eat.

Ingredients
(Serves 4)

- 2 cups rice, washed
- 4 cabbage leaves, shredded thinly
- 200g pork belly (aka “sam cham bak“, 3-layered pork, 3层肉)
- 3 tbsp dried shrimps (aka “Hei Bi” )
- 4 dried scallops
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- water (to cook rice)
- sea salt

Cabbage Rice Ingredients
Directions

1. Soak dried shrimps in water until soft. Discard water. Chop the soaked dried shrimps to fine bits, or use a grinder.
2. Soak dried scallops in water till soft. Discard water. Use fingers to separate scallop to thin shreds. Reserve the water used to soak the scallops.
3. Slice the pork belly to thin slices, then cut each slice to thin shreds. If you want less fat, cut off the entire top layer of fat before slicing.
4. Heat wok over medium fire, add sliced pork to wok and stir fry till cooked.
5. Take out the cooked pork and set aside. Using the oil from cooking the pork belly (add more if needed), add the garlic and chopped dried shrimps, dried scallop shreds and fry until the dried shrimps are browned.
6. Return the previously cooked pork belly back to the wok and add salt, washed rice and shredded cabbage. Mix until even.
7. Transfer contents of the wok to a rice cooker, add water to cook rice, using some of the water used to soak the scallops. Stir evenly before cooking.

30 Responses to “Cabbage Rice”

1 2 3
  1. Joyce — February 1, 2008 @ 8:20 pm

This dish is so simple and heart warming. I guess great when one needs to whip something up fast. Dried shrimp and scallops added to give a rich flavor to the the rice . Too bad I can’t eat shrimp or scallops,but I can imagine what it might taste like. Haha.

2. didally — February 5, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

I learnt this dish from my mum too! And it’s so versatile, we can practically add what we like in there. I took some pics too but haven’t post yet. lol

3. tigerfish — February 12, 2008 @ 11:17 am

Ya ya…I like cabbage rice too! I cook mine with leftover char siew. :P

4. gwen — April 21, 2008 @ 11:42 pm

my grandmother always cooked this dish when i was living with her. im really missing this cabbage rice … the only difference is she added chinese mushrooms instead of scallops and beansprouts … thanks for reminding me the sweet old days i spent with my grandmother …

5. wiffy — April 23, 2008 @ 3:53 am

Joyce, didally, tigerfish: thank you for your comments ^^

Gwen: Thank you for your sweet comment! I’m glad that this recipe of mine bring back good memories for you… And I think that Chinese mushrooms are a great addition to this dish and I might try it out next time :)

6. Y — September 12, 2008 @ 9:08 am

I’ve never had cabbage rice, but it certainly looks like my kind of thing! :)

7. wiffy — September 12, 2008 @ 5:18 pm

8. Olga — September 13, 2008 @ 9:49 am

Interesting how it seems that different cultures combine the same types of food.
    I grew up in Moscow and my mom often made a concoction of rice, cabbage, ground beef, carrots and onions: also all in one pot :)

9. Chow Vegan — September 13, 2008 @ 12:24 pm

My mom made something similar but the rice was cooked separate from the other ingredients. Your photos sure brings back memories. :-)

10. wiffy — September 16, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

Olga:: Interesting for me to learn that too. Your mom’s concoction sounds fantastic! ;)

Chow Vegan:: hehe looks our mums are good at this one dish rice meal :)

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Rice | NoobCook.com