Chinese Braised Chicken
Chinese Braised Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 500g chicken thigh (or half chicken) chopped to small pieces
- 1 carrot peeled and cut to bite-sized chunks
- 200g fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks removed
- 2 stalks of spring onions sliced to 5 cm lengths
- 3 ginger slices
- 5 garlic cloves bruised
- 150ml water
- 2 to 4 small rock sugar cubes
- coriander for garnishing
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce reduce if you don't want the sauce to be too dark coloured
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- Heat sesame oil in wok and add chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add water, carrots, mushrooms, spring onions (bottom white portion), ginger, garlic cloves, water and (A). Stir to mix well. Cover with lid and let the contents simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over with tongs so that they can absorb the braising liquid. Add rock sugar for sweetness and a beautiful glazed finish. Simmer with lid closed for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Garnish with coriander.