Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe

Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles)

Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Update (19 Aug 2014): First posted in Aug 2009, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

It’s the SO birthday tomorrow, and last weekend I cooked him this bowl of birthday longevity noodles (aka long life noodles, or 长寿面, “Chang Shou Mian”) in advance. For the soup base, I used my favourite chicken soup recipe from Teczcape. My family loves the chicken soup as it tastes homely and boosts immunity (with shiitake mushrooms, garlic, onion and ginger).

You May Also Like: My mum’s simple egg mee sua recipe

I served the chicken soup with mee sua, baby abalones (birthday treat) and hard-boiled quail eggs.

Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Longevity noodles are eaten by Chinese on birthdays and special occasions such as Ren Ri 人 日 (7th day of the Lunar New Year, commonly known as “everyman’s birthday”). The long strands of noodles symbolize a long life. Therefore, when eating the noodles, one tries not to break the noodles using the chopsticks or teeth, but instead chew on the noodles when they are inside the mouth. Quite a challenging task if you’d asked me ;) Instead of mee sua, you can use other long noodles such as bee hoon, udon, soba, yee mien and even spaghetti. The noodles can be dry (stir-fried) as well. Sometimes the eggs are dyed in red food colouring as red symbolises auspiciousness. As for the soup broth, anything goes – you can use any type of soup stock, including instant ones.

48 Responses to “Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles)”

1. lisaiscooking — August 25, 2009 @ 4:11 am

This is such a nice tradition! I’ve never tried abalone, but I’d love to taste it. Your noodles look delicious.

2. Janet@ Gourmet Traveller 88 — August 25, 2009 @ 5:18 am

Very scrumptious longlife noodle. I have not cooked this before, should try one day. It’s nice and special to make something relatively traditional for birthday.

3. Ellena — August 25, 2009 @ 9:01 am

Wow…… You still add “Abalone” in your longevity noodles!!!!!! Can I have a bowl as well……. “B” is so lucky to have you preparing this wonderful dish for him……. :lol:

• wiffy replied: — August 26th, 2009 @ 4:51 pm

it’s my last can of abalone. Mum nagging me to open it before it expires, haha

4. diva — August 25, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

wow cool. i’ve never had these noodles before and i really wanna see if i slurp it all up without breaking it :) anyway noobcook, i’ve left you a blog award on mine. do check it out when u can. xx

• wiffy replied: — August 26th, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

5. Su-Lin — August 25, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

Noodles are the one must on my birthday – it’s the only superstition I still adhere to! :D

• wiffy replied: — August 26th, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

really! I think I hadn’t eat that on my birthday for more than a decade :|

6. Little Inbox — August 26, 2009 @ 9:07 am

I have yet to try cook mee suah in this way. Thanks for sharing.

7. Marysol — August 27, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

NC, how long are these noodles? And what happens if the noodle doesn’t make it to one’s mouth in one big slurp?

Perhaps I’d be better off not knowing the answer to that.
    But, just to be safe, I would demand two of those beautiful bowls up there .
    At least, I’d die happy.

• wiffy replied: — August 27th, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

Don’t worry, I think that happens quite often ;) haha you’re so funny :D

8. food-4tots — August 27, 2009 @ 11:44 pm

I love longevity noodles but haven’t had one during my birthday. Maybe I need to learn this and cook some for myself. Your bowl of noodles is topped with so many goodies! Definitely taste super delicious! ;p

9. Juliana — August 28, 2009 @ 4:33 am

Yummie, have not had those noddles for a while…looks delicious the one that you feature.

10. TasteHongKong — August 28, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

What a deluxe and thoughtful version of longevity noodles, they are well-presented in the ‘Cock Bowls’ ! I have also got two of them, which is now sitting in my cabinet, and they has become one of my collections.