Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles)
Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe
Chinese love to eat these noodles during birthdays and auspicious occasions. Eat the noodles immediately upon serving, as the mee sua will soak up the soup quickly.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 bundles of mee suah (flour vermicelli; or any other long noodles)
- sesame oil to taste
- 4 baby abalone from the canned; drained
- hard-boiled chicken or quail eggs*
- spring onions thinly sliced; for garnishing
* To cook hard boiled chicken eggs, place eggs in saucepan of cold water (enough water to cover eggs). Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes, turn off the stove and cover with lid for 10 minutes. For quail eggs, cover eggs with sufficient water and boil for 5 minutes. Rinse cooked eggs with cold water before peeling.
(A) Chicken Soup
- 2 large chicken drumsticks blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes, rinsed
- chicken bones blanched in boiling water for 5 minutes, rinsed
- 1.2 litres water
- 1 medium onion roughly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves slightly bruised
- 100 grams fresh shiitake mushrooms caps only
- 1/2 tbsp wolfberries (gojiberry) soaked in a bowl of water to rehydrate until plump
- salt to taste
- In a soup pot, add (A) except wolfberries and salt. Simmer for about 1 hour, or until chicken is tender. Add drained wolfberries during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt.
Birthday mee sua bowl
- Cook mee sua in a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds, separating the strands with chopsticks.
- Transfer the cooked mee sua to two serving bowls. Coat the mee sua with some sesame oil.
- When ready to serve, reheat chicken soup and add the baby abalones to warm through for a few minutes (do not overcook).
- Top each bowl of mee sua with one chicken drumstick, baby abalone, mushrooms, hard boiled eggs and baby abalone. Ladle hot chicken stock over, garnish with spring onions and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment
51 Responses to “Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles)”
Pingback: Chinese Birthday Meal