Bird’s Nest Soup
Bird's Nest Soup with Rock Sugar Recipe
We use an electric slow-cooker as the double-boiler. For best results, use boiling water as it takes a long time for the water in a slow-cooker water to heat up.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
- 1-2 pieces bird's nest (yan wo/燕窝)
- 2 rice bowl hot water
- 10 slices American ginseng (花旗參) optional
- 3 tbsp rock sugar to taste
- Soak bird's nest pieces in a bowl of cold water for 1/2 to 1 hour, until softened. Pluck out any feathers or debris using kitchen tweezers. Rinse and drain. To prevent wastage, run soaking water through a fine sieve to catch the small bits of bird's nest.
- Add soaked bird's nest , hot water and ginseng slices in an inner stewing pot. Cover with lid.
- Place stewing pot inside a larger pot such as a slow cooker. Double-boil for about half to one hour. When the bird's nest is cooked to desired texture, stir in rock sugar to taste and cover for about 5 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve fully. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Noob Cook Tips
We use an electric slow-cooker as the double-boiler. For best results, use boiling water for both the inner and outer pot. The water in the other pot should cover at least 3/4 of the height of the inner pot. The stewing time begins counting when the water in the outer pot starts to bubble (for my slow cooker, it takes about 45 minutes).