Claypot Rice with Beef & Egg
Beef Claypot Rice
In this recipe, the egg is cooked but still runny. If you don't mind raw egg, add the egg when serving (while the claypot is fresh off the stove and still hot) instead of adding it at step 4.
If you do not intend to drizzle dark soy sauce over the cooked mixed rice, add an additional 1/2 tsp light soy sauce to marinade (A).
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 120 grams minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp sesame oil (or regular vegetable/olive oil)
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce to taste
- 1 tsp corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 tsp Worcester (Worcestershire) sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- a few dashes white pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- a tiny pinch of salt
- Marinade beef with (A) for 30 minutes.
- Grease inner claypot wall with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Add washed rice and water to the claypot.
- Cover claypot with lid. Simmer the rice on gentle flame until it is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the marinated beef on top of the rice using the back of a spoon. Drizzle remaining sesame oil along the walls of the clay pot. Increase the stove heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Crack an egg near the side wall of the claypot. Add spring onions. Cover claypot and turn off the stove, allowing the contents of the claypot to retain the heat and slow cook on their own for another 4 minutes. By this time, the beef should be just cooked and the egg semi-cooked (still runny).
- To serve, use a spoon to break the yolk and mix everything (rice, egg and beef) evenly. Drizzle dark soy sauce, to taste, and mix well to eat.