Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe Red Glutinous Wine Lees

Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto Recipe

Check Out: Pesto Pizza Recipe

A while ago, I made some macademia pesto. Traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts and fresh basil leaves but back then, I had an abundance of good quality macadamia nuts after a holiday in Australia. So this time round, I decided to post a “proper” recipe for pesto using pine nuts. This is really simple to make and handy to have around. My current favourite use of pesto is to toss it with some angel hair pasta for an almost-instant, yet gourmet meal. Besides pasta, you can use it as a sauce over grilled meats, as a dip for nachos or a spread for baguette. The possibilities are limitless.

35 Responses to “Basil Pesto”

1. rylan — September 23, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

Oh this one sounds really good! I’ve never really had any type of pesto sauce other than the usual pine nuts. This, I’d love to try (I sooo wish Macadamia nuts were cheaper). Lovely post!

2. MaryMoh — September 24, 2010 @ 12:02 am

Love your pesto…Looks so fresh and delicious.

3. daphne — September 24, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

yum! that’s the best with home made pesto! So fressssh. We used to have our own basil plant and I made heaps of it! Esp with the food processor.. keke. but now that our plant died…

i resorted to buying jars again. dOH!

4. ros — October 17, 2010 @ 11:02 am

I really like your clear instructions. They help cooking newbies like me! Your mortar and pestle is gorgeous! May I know where you bought it from?

• wiffy replied: — October 17th, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Hi, thanks! I bought it from Ikea Singapore.

5. Mary A — October 19, 2010 @ 12:07 am

Add to a basic cream sauce for creamy pesto. Yum!

6. Michelle — September 9, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

This looks so healthy n yummy but alas, I’ve no blender…any good off-the-shelf brand to recommend?

7. shia — October 8, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

hi,

what kind of parmesan cheese do u use? the shredded packet type or one big piece and u slice/cut them accordingly?

if u buy the chunk type, how long can it last? how to store it?

sorry, i asked cause i once bought one chunk of cheddar for my son(refused to buy the processed cheddar) and the consumption is rather slow. after some time being kept in fridge in a container, the smell of the cheese becomes stronger and there was a whitish layer covering it, not sure if it was fungal. hence i’d like to know about storage.

didnt get any chunky cheese from then on. for the adults, we used kraft processed slice cheese :(

thanks :)

• wiffy replied: — October 10th, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

I buy the shredded packet type from supermarket. one packet less than S$10. I bought chunk type before, I wrap with brown paper and store in crisper section of fridge and use it within a week. Hope this helps.