Tuna Pasta Recipe Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe

Basic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

Vanilla Cupcakes
Fresh from the oven – Vanilla Cupcakes

I call these basic cupcakes because with them, you can play around with all types of decoration topping to make different themed cupcakes, such as the adorable Easter Nest Cupcakes. Another reason is that they are really easy – I was successful on my first attempt even though I had only one successful baking attempt (and many disastrous attempts) prior to this. Not only is the recipe easy, it also has minimal ingredients. If you are a total noob in baking just like me, I think this is the perfect cupcake recipe to use. As with all cupcakes (as opposed to muffins), they usually need some kind of frosting or fondue on top to make it more complete. However, they taste good on their own too and I am equally happy to enjoy them plain.

67 Responses to “Basic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe”

1. Meowmee — October 8, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Hi Miffy, I tried them again last nite, and they turned out perfect!! I think it’s the way I measure the baking powder etc.. Btw, do u usually measure flour or sugar using the weighing scale? And do u weigh flour before or after sift?

• wiffy replied: — October 8th, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

wow finally, glad to hear that, you are really determined. Yes you need to measure the flour and sugar too. Baking needs to be precise and in fact, I used a digital weighing scale (so that it’s accurate to the gram). I find that there’s little room for “agaration” (estimation) when it comes to baking, compared to cooking, especially for noob bakers like me. Weigh the flour before sift. You are not supposed to lose a lot of flour after sifting.

btw, I’m wiffy not Miffy ;)

2. Meowmee — October 9, 2010 @ 12:49 am

So sorry Wiffy… Didnt know y I always thought your Nick was Miffy.. Really sorry bout that.. Me feel so paisay now…

3. Lulu — May 6, 2011 @ 11:36 am

That was a wondeful recipe for my small toaster oven.

I made 5 cupcakes at a time and it was just perfect.

Thank you.

4. Suze — May 23, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

Hi..I would like to check if you could also give measurements in terms of US metric (aka cup, teaspoon, tablespoon, millimeters etc)

Thanks!

5. Andrealee03 — January 9, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

Hi, can I check if I need to replace the self raising flour with baking powder instead, what’s the amt I shd use?

Pls kindly advise.

Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — January 9th, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

Hi! No you can’t substitute the flour with baking powder, they have different purpose. In this recipe, you need 110g flour and only 1/2 tsp baking powder.

• Andrea lee replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Hi wiffy,

Can I use normal bread flour instead of self raising flour?

6. supergal — April 16, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Hi wiffy,

Thanks for sharing this great recipe! It’s really easy to follow and I’m very happy to be able to bake cupcakes in my new kitchen and my new oven (just moved to my new place last month!).

My cupcakes turned out OK but they overflowed slightly even though I filled the cups to half only. I think I did the step on melting butter wrongly. I was supposed to let it melt at room temperature but for goodness sake, I melted the butter in a microwave oven for 30s!!! It turned out a little too watery actually. I guess next time if I’m using a microwave oven to melt butter, I should really do it in very short intervals of 3-5s and not a ONE SHOT 30s!

Will continue to try baking cupcakes.

Thanks.

7. SK — May 22, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    what the differ between cupcake and muffin?
    Thank you.

8. JAS — September 13, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Hi I wld like to ask if I wanted to make a Oreo vanilla cupcake using help w this recipe above, can i just add the Oreo cookie crumbs into the mixture before baking it? Help pls! Tks

• JAS replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 1:58 am

Oh and I wld like to know if I can substitute the vanilla extract w vanilla essence instead?

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 9:51 am

Yes, you can.

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Sorry not tried Oreo version before, but you can try to experiment :)

9. Yvonne — December 7, 2012 @ 11:11 am

Hi

Can I ask.

when you mentioned that “Bake in preheated oven of 175°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes, until the top just turn golden brown”

do i preheat the oven to 350 then when i want to put in the cupcake mixture then lower down to 170?

sorry i m a newbie in baking.

• wiffy replied: — December 26th, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

I preheat the oven until it reaches 175°C (usually about 10 minutes), then put the muffins in.

10. Bill Ray — April 4, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

They look good enough to eat, I am drooling.