Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Assam Fish Curry

Assam fish curry recipe

Assam Fish Curry is one of my favourite curry for many reasons. Firstly, it is not only hot but also addictively sour as well thanks to the tamarind (or better known locally as assam/asam). Secondly it is healthy with lots of vegetables (lady’s fingers, tomatoes and eggplants) and lastly, it does not contain coconut milk – hence relatively low-fat compared to other curries and keeps better in our tropical climate.

See Also: Curry Chicken Recipe

I cheated with instant fish curry paste so this curry was whipped up in under 30 minutes – faster than the time needed to cook the rice in the rice cooker. I have made curry paste from scratch before, and it IS tedious, so I am really grateful for the convenience of instant curry mixes, especially on nights when I only have less than 30 minutes to cook dinner. If you like cheater’s curry, do also check out my quick and easy curry chicken.

Assam fish curry recipe

43 Responses to “Assam Fish Curry”

1. Michelle — March 3, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Hi Wiffy, I love Assam fish!! May I share with you the Assam paste brand that I use? It’s Assam Pedas Ikan under IKAN BRAND. Available at supermarkets n provision shops. Green n yellow packaging with picture of 3 fishes. It’s instant with a rich spicy sour taste. No need to add extra Assam. I use it with stir fried prawns too. Try it!

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

Hi Michelle, thanks for your recommendation, I want to try it, think I see it before :D I just had assam prawns tonight hehe

2. Yvonne Leong via Facebook — March 5, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Finally I will be serving this for dinner tonite ;p

3. Su wee — March 11, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Awesome! Tried the recipe today n it was yummy! Love ur recipes!

4. thehomefoodcook — March 12, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

wow, that looks fantastic! I’ve been meaning to cook this dish to go with my roti prata..
    I made beef curry instead cos I didn’t bother to go buy the ingredients…regretting it now!

5. Jessy — March 13, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Tried it n it was good! May I know how long can I keep the remaining Assam? I bought the same brand as yours n I still have more than half.

• wiffy replied: — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

I kept mine in a sealed container, in the fridge. Lasted quite long, I kept mine for more than a month.

6. Juniormooi — April 12, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Hi tried this last evening for my dad birthday, it was awesome and my family finished it up. Thanks for the great recipes and tips!!

7. Jess — April 24, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

Excellent recipe! I had the A1 fish curry but don’t fancy coconut milk, followed your recipe exactly and it is absolutely delicious! Thank you!

8. Beanie — May 22, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Hi, may I know where to get chilli powder? What brand and does it comes in a pack or container?

9. oops — June 9, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

tamarind is called ‘Teteli’ in local not ‘assam’ as it mentioned in recipe.

10. Louisa — August 1, 2012 @ 2:53 am

Oh my! YUM!! What’s your favorite instant paste?