Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Apple Crumble

Apple Crumble

Apple crumble (or apple crisp in US and Canada) is a dessert dish of baked apples topped with a crisp crust. I learnt to make this dessert during my secondary school home economics class, ages ago. I have forgotten almost everything I studied in school but I still remember this recipe. It remained one of my favourite dessert recipes because it is noob friendly – just a few ingredients, no complicated steps and no need for electrical mixer to prepare the crumble topping. This is the perfect, fuss-free dessert for entertaining. The preparation work is under 15 minutes and I prepare everything beforehand, baking it about 10 minutes before dinner so that it will be piping hot (served with a scoop of ice cream) when served.Β  There are many ways of making apple crumble – some recipes involve stewing the apples first, and some recipes uses a pie crust (mine kind of resembles an apple cobbler as it do not have the bottom crust). This fuss-free method is what I learnt in school and I absolutely love the speed and simplicity of this recipe.Β

Printable Recipe
Apple Crumble (Step-by-Step)
Making Apple Crumble Sift the flour and cinnamon powder into a large mixing bowl.
Making Apple Crumble Add cubed butter to sifted flour. Using fingertips, gently rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Making Apple Crumble Add sugar and mix well with a spoon.
Making Apple Crumble Peel and core the apple. Slice thinly. Arrange apple slices in a greased, shallow baking gratin dish.
Making Apple Crumble Cover apples with the rubbed-in mixture and press lightly with the back of a spoon.
Apple Crumble Bake in the oven until the topping is lightly golden brown.

23 Responses to “Apple Crumble”

1. Man — February 20, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

Would it be possible to use uncooked oats as a replacement for butter? :)
    I remember cooking the most delicious apple crumble once during a school camp – there were minimal ingredients available and they even used Nestle Cereal, but it was the best apple crumble ever!!

• wiffy replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Hi, yes you can add oats for taste and texture, but they are not a replacement for butter. Google “apple crumble without butter” and you can find suggestions such as using olive oil and margarine.

2. tigerfish — February 20, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

No mixer sounds good for me! If I want to make apple crumble next time, I will definitely try your recipe.

3. Nasi Lemak Lover — February 20, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Your apple crumble look really nice!

4. mochachocolatarita — February 20, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

i dislike apples but love them baked in the form of apple crumble ofcos heheheh

5. Emily — February 20, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

Where to buy cooking apples? Different from normal red apples?

• wiffy replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Golden Delicious & Granny Smith are seasonal; I got them at local supermarkets (NTUC). If you can’t find, can use any type of apple – I tried before and the recipe still works.

• Emily replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

thanks so much! :D love ur blog!

6. Deanne Glayde via Facebook — February 20, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

I love a good crumble!

7. Hem Joo Yeo via Facebook — February 21, 2012 @ 12:03 am

Sounds real easy. Thanks!

8. Little Corner of Mine — February 21, 2012 @ 2:39 am

What a lovely dessert, I loved this!

9. Chris — February 21, 2012 @ 9:07 am

Wow… I love this especially the steps are pretty easy. I used to buy every week ends from one of the bakery shop apple crumble tartlets without fail. Now I can make my own… yeah.

10. Henny Surya Ningsih via Facebook — February 21, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

Hi there, just tried your recipe for dessert after dinner. Taste great! My hubby loves it. Thanks for sharing!