Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Red Glutinous Wine Mee Sua

Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Update (4 Aug 2014): First posted in Apr 2010, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

Whenever my mum goes back to her hometown in Sitiawan, Perak (Malaysia), I will beg her to bring back some her hometown’s famous mee suah (aka flour vermicelli 面线) and ang zao jiu (aka red glutinuous wine 红槽酒) back for me. Details on where to buy them at the end of this page. The Chinese population in Perak is largely Foo Chow (hock chew 福州) and the Foo chow red glutinous mee sua and chicken are famous specialties there. With the best ingredients money can possibly buy, it is very easy to whip up this one-dish meal of red glutinous mee sua with chicken (红槽鸡面线).

Similar Recipe: Red Glutinous Wine Chicken

When I ask my relatives about the art of wine making, superstitions come flying around. “You must be in a good mood when making the wine”, “You must NOT ask about the status of the wine or the whole batch will be ruined” etc. It all sounds unbelievably irrational, until I realised that somehow, the best glutinous red wine I have tasted are always home-made. I don’t even want to start ranting on how bad some of the mass-produced factory wine lees taste. To me, as long as you can procure good quality wine and wine lees, you can get way with “anyhow cooking” this dish (sometimes I even skip the chicken marination part) – which explains the simplicity of this recipe.

Hand-made mee sua

If you ever have a chance to visit Sitiawan, Perak, I urge you to buy some of the quality wine lees and hand-made mee sua (福州面线) there. The shop I am recommending (see contact details at the end of the page) has been around for more than twenty years, and today, their mee sua is still hand made. If you visit their shop, you can see the mee sua being sun dried on poles. Being hand-made, they are not the thinnest mee sua out there, yet the texture is superior! Our car boot back from Malaysia is always filled with friends and relatives requests for them. Their particular mee sua is (deliciously) salty on its own, so cooking them separately in a pot of water is a must.

red glutinous wine lees

Like their mee sua, their red glutinous wine (and lees) are deliciously savoury on its own, which is why you can see that my recipe is so minimum with simple seasonings.

Where to buy good quality red glutinous wine & mee suah
家發手工福州麵線 Perusahaan Makanan Jia Fatt
No. 2179B, Kampung Bintang, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak, Malaysia
H/P: 012-5709507, 016-5003955

Note: This is NOT a paid or sponsored mention. I am just sharing good finds with my readers :)

126 Responses to “Red Glutinous Wine Mee Sua”

1. Jade — April 21, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Oh I LOVE ang jiu mee sua! I’m from Sibu, so I guess the foo chow-ness is probably similar to that in Perak. Too bad UK customs’ ridiculously strict about food items :(

2. oh dear, i wish i was able to pronounce this dish! i’ve never tried this kind of noodle dish before, but i’m sure it’s tasty, comforting, and delicious!

3. 3hungrytummies — April 21, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

Oh this sure looks good! This is one of the strange but delicious food I tried in Sarawak, I think the fuchow people really like to eat red food :)
    Do you mind if I use your recipe?

• wiffy replied: — April 21st, 2010 @ 11:05 pm

yes sure please feel free to use it. I hope you like it. Give me your feedback if any. If you write the recipe on your blog, a link back is appreciated hehe ;)

4. 3hungrytummies — April 22, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Thank you! Of course I will link it back to you! :)

5. Dee — April 23, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Woman, you’re an amazing cook! This would have been perfect after last night’s rain.

6. Pei-Lin — April 25, 2010 @ 10:47 pm

So far in my life, I’ve only met a Fook Chow man in my life, i.e. my late uncle, who was born and raised in Sitiawan! That said, I’m not too familiar with Fook Chow cuisine in general though I’ve sorta heard of hong zhao mee suah. I might as well just try this delicacy whenever I happen to stop by the Perak town in the near future!

You just made me salivate, after I’ve had my dinner. Hahaha!

7. adel — May 9, 2010 @ 9:55 am

my mum’s also from Sitiawan and thankfully, my aunts know how to make the red wine from scratch, that we’re able to enjoy through colder months and whenever there’s auspicious celebration around..
    however, the homemade mian xian has to be bought as it takes skills to make..it’s almost like the slimmer version of la mian as pulling is part of the mian xian making processes..
    so good to see Foo Chow Red Wine Chicken Soup being featured here :)

• wiffy replied: — May 10th, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Hi adel, thanks for your comment :) it’s amazing that so many of us who reads this have roots in Sitiawan and enjoy this dish. The world isn’t so small after all hehe

All my aunts can make the red wine too. I heard that there are lots of superstitions to make it, such as don’t ask about the progress, be very good mood when making the wine etc to prevent the wine from becoming sour. I should beg my aunt to make for me next time she comes Singapore :lol:

8. Charisse — May 19, 2010 @ 11:25 am

are you a hock chew too?? good 红槽 is so difficult to get over here. my granddad makes it very well, and he usually does a few bottles before CNY and distributes to us. its sad that noone else in our HUGE family really knows how to make it. we only know how to eat :roll: this dish is indeed YUMMILICIOUS!! my hubby doesnt really like it tho. think its scary looking to him :P

• wiffy replied: — May 19th, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I’m not hock chew but my mum is. So that makes me 1/2? :p Oh 红槽 needs a lot of skill to make at home, or else it will be sour or tart tasting. You’re so lucky that your granddad makes it for the family. Maybe you should learn the skill from him one day.

The redness used to scare me a lot and I didn’t dare to eat it when I was a child. I guess it’s an acquired taste ;)

9. bob — May 20, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

anybody know if i can hong zhao in sf usa?

• wiffy replied: — May 25th, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Hi bob, You can try the the Chinatown area in SF, however I think it might be quite challenging to find this in US. Even in Singapore (neighbouring country of Malaysia), this ingredient is not that common.

10. priscilla hk — May 21, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

I live in hong kong and really wish to know where i can buy the wine lees. Please help.