Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

ABC Soup

ABC Soup

Check Out: Chinese Soups Recipes

Note: This was first posted in Jul 2009, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

This Chinese pork ribs soup with vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery) is commonly known as “ABC soup” or “luo song tang” 罗宋汤 here. I always wonder why it is called ABC soup since there are no pasta letters in it, and the main ingredients (typically potatoes and carrots) do not all start with the letters A, B and C. Check out the compilation of comments below which explain the origins of the soup name. I know the combination of ingredients is right when 10 minutes into simmering, the entire kitchen is filled with a wonderful soup aroma.

ABC Soup

Possible reasons for the name “ABC Soup” from readers’ comments, thanks for sharing!

• @k (my fave!) “I read from somewhere that it’s called ABC soup because: A-nion, B-otato, C-arrot
  • @Steve Seto – “It’s called “ABC” because it’s popular with American Born Chinese. It’s a name given by native Chinese restaurant workers.
  • @Michelle ChewScientifically and logically, the name ‘ABC’ for this soup arises from the vitamins it provides: Vit A – Carrot, Vit B – Potato (Vit B6 in specific), Vit C – Tomato
  • @andy “A – Ang Mo Kio (Tomato), B – Bah Kut (pork ribs), C – Carrot”
  • My theory (to add on): “Making this soup is as easy as ABC!

63 Responses to “ABC Soup”

1. daphne — July 23, 2009 @ 7:30 pm

I’m missing home like mad (sick…) and this soup reminds me of home straight away! oh so comforting!

2. I have not heard ABC soup before, I only know the Campbell’s ABC alphabetic soup. Yours in much healthy of course : )

3. H. Ng — July 25, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

Hi Noobcook

I am an older Chinese American living in San Francisco, CA. I am a newbie (dummy?) when it comes to cooking. Your fantastic recipes and their accompanying photos have whet my interest. I want to start cooking.

Your recipe for ABC soup calls for Ikan Bilis (anchovies). Can you send me the Chinese characters for this, so that I can go Chinatown and purchase them?
    Is there a substitute for the anchovies, should I not be able to get them? Would it be ok to omit them from the recipe without sacrificing too much of the flavor?

Thank you for your attention.

H. Ng

• wiffy replied: — July 25th, 2009 @ 9:18 pm

Hi H.Ng, the Chinese characters are 江鱼仔. However, I think you can just omit them from the recipe as the taste is quite subtle. Just remember to season the soup with some salt at the end. Thanks for your kind words! Hope you like the recipe when you try it out. :-)

4. mywhitekitchen — July 28, 2009 @ 9:41 pm

I love to put many tomatoes in ABC soup. This is my husband’s favorite soup. Next time I should try with anchovies too.

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:44 am

I love the tangy taste of tomatoes in soups as well. Thanks for visiting me! :-)

5. Cynthia — August 20, 2009 @ 11:41 pm

Hi can i check with you what type of onions do u use ? Is it the big white ones ? Will it make the soup sweet ? TY !

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2009 @ 7:04 am

Hi Cynthia, yep I use the big white/yellow types. It will make the soup sweet and also give it an earthly flavour. :-)

6. Janice — September 5, 2009 @ 4:56 pm

Wonderful recipe.. :)

Btw, may I ask what is the use/purpose for blanching the pork ribs with boiling water for 5 mins? also in your Chinese Minestrone soup recipe, you blanched the chicken.

• wiffy replied: — September 5th, 2009 @ 11:04 pm

Hi Janice, the purpose is to remove the “scum” so that you have clear soup. However you can skip this step if you don’t mind the tiny particles in the soup after cooking.

7. Michelle Chew — January 27, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

Hi, if you dont mind me interrupting. I happened to visit your blog and cant help but feeling entertained by all sorts of explanation on how the ‘ABC’ name comes from. Scientifically and logically, the name ‘ABC’ for this soup arise from the vitamins it provides

Vit A – Carrot
    Vit B – Potato (Vit B6 in specific)
    Vit C – Tomato

Voila!!

• wiffy replied: — January 28th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your insight Michelle! Your explanation makes a lot of sense as well. I decided to update this post with all the possible reasons that are shared in the comments section, including yours. Hmm they all sound equally plausible, I wonder which is the real explanation behind the origins of the name for this soup hehe :-)

8. ah shu — March 5, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Great website! Good guidance for beginner like me, i’ve cooked the ABC soup just like ABC that easy, thanks!

9. Eugene — January 8, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

Hi hi, tried this yesterday from Singapore… Found my soup lacks flavour. I added everything in the receipe ncluding tomatos. If the taste is too bland, what can i add? Or do i need to boil it longer to set the flavour in? I added quite a bit of salt and soya sauce. Should i add yellow beans and sweet corns? Or some stock? Sorry for the oob questions… :)

10. Lee — May 19, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

From where I’m from, the term ABC quite often means (where food is concerned) ‘with the works’ – in other words, just chuck everything in…