ABC Juice (Apple, Beetroot, Carrot)
I chanced upon this interesting vegetable juice at reena’s blog and I just know I had to try it. I thought it will be fun to post a recipe on ABC juice right after posting my ABC soup recipe, even though these two recipes are not related to each other besides the similar name. The “ABC” in this case stands for apples, beetroots and carrots, so this recipe is super easy to remember. Beetroot is a super healthy vegetable, but I’ve always preferred to “drink” beetroot rather than to eat it. I personally feel that this fuss-free recipe is the best way to consume beetroot and enjoy all its wonderful nutrients at the same time.
Like Us on Facebook
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
– Lowers blood pressure (therefore avoid/consume in moderation if you are anemic)
– Relaxes the mind (due to the substance betaine) and is used to treat depression. It also contains trytophan which contributes to a sense of well being.
– Contains aphrodisiac properties according to the Romans. The juice is a rich source of boron, which plays an important role in the production of human sex hormones.
The unique deep red/magenta hue of beetroot is due to the substance known as betanin, which is used industrially as a red food colourant – e.g. to improve the colour of tomato paste, sauces, jams and ice cream. To me, the beetroot looks as if it is “bleeding” when you cut into it, so do be careful about red stains. Betacyanin in beetroot may cause pink “side effects” in some people who are unable to break it down, however do not be alarmed if that happens.
(Makes one tall glass)
– 1 small (about 200g) beetroot, remove skin and cut to small chunks
– 2 medium carrots, skin peeled, cut to small chunks
– 1 large red unwaxed apple, cut to small chunks
1. Blend everything with a fruit juice extractor (not food blender) and serve immediately. That’s all – it’s as easy as ABC :-)
– You can use green apple instead of red apple for a sour taste.
– You can add 1 stalk of celery if you like the vegetable.
– Carrots and red apples make the juice sweet, so you can experiment with the quantity to adjust the sweetness.