Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Abalone Chicken Congee

Abalone Chicken Congee (Porridge)

Check Out: Chinese New Year Recipes

Update: This was first posted in Jan 2009, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

Many Chinese celebrating Chinese New Year will be buying canned abalones during the festive season. Abalone is an auspicious luxury food item, as it signifies increasing abundance (年年’包’有余) in the coming year. I use abalone in a wide variety of dishes, such as steamboat, pen cai, yu sheng and braised abalone with mushrooms. One of my all-time favourite abalone dishes will be this homely bowl of abalone chicken congee (鲍鱼鸡丝粥). The congee (or porridge depending on the texture you like) is really sweet as it is simmered in an umami stock consisting of scallops, chicken and abalone broth. It is a luxurious yet relatively light meal at the same time – definitely a wonderful dish to enjoy after a hearty reunion dinner.

Abalone Chicken Congee

49 Responses to “Abalone Chicken Congee”

1. Marc @ NoRecipes — January 28, 2009 @ 11:23 am

Oooo I love congee but I’ve never tried any other flavor than salt pork and century egg. I’ll have to look for canned abalone next time I’m in c-town.

2. Jude — January 28, 2009 @ 11:51 am

Wow give me a bowl of that. Canned abalone is so expensive.

3. Dee — January 28, 2009 @ 5:20 pm

I’ve never cooked abalone, because the thought of running something so expensive scares me. The congee sounds delish. How do you know when the abalone is cooked, or is canned abalone pre-cooked?

4. Jesse — January 28, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

Oh my GOD this just made me soooo homesick! Ahh!! Your pictures are SO beautiful, and abalone and chicken congee is like my favourite comfort foods of all time. Mmm! Happy Chinese Niu Year to you too!

5. mikky — January 28, 2009 @ 11:36 pm

my hubby would be in cloud nine if i serve him this… :)

6. [eatingclub] vancouver || js — February 1, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

I want a bowl of that! Abalone, chicken, congee yum yum.

7. email2me — February 12, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

Wah this porridge is very luxurious …. :up: :roll:

8. tomi — July 27, 2009 @ 8:36 am

This looks so good, will have to try soon (without the abalone) :)

9. Jessica — September 13, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Wow.. the bowls that you used are so nice.. Where did u buy them from ? Thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Hi Jessica, it was a free gift from knorr a few years back during CNY promo period. Don’t think they are giving it away or selling it now :(

• Jessica replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Hi wiffy,

thanks for your reply. oh how abt those chicken design bowls. that i saw from ur other photos.. they look great… where u bought from them ?

I like the photos u took.. the lightning and colors combination are great.

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

thanks for your kind words. I have replied your earlier question (sorry I was late), you can read it here :)

10. Tuna Sashimi — January 30, 2011 @ 6:40 am

Hi Noobcook, this is a great site just love it! You made home cooking look enjoyable and easy! You have really inspired me to do more Chinese cooking for family and entertaining!