Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe Philips Airfryer Giveaway

Abalone Chicken Congee

Abalone Chicken Congee (Porridge)

Check Out: Chinese New Year Recipes

Update: This was first posted in Jan 2009, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

Many Chinese celebrating Chinese New Year will be buying canned abalones during the festive season. Abalone is an auspicious luxury food item, as it signifies increasing abundance (年年’包’有余) in the coming year. I use abalone in a wide variety of dishes, such as steamboat, pen cai, yu sheng and braised abalone with mushrooms. One of my all-time favourite abalone dishes will be this homely bowl of abalone chicken congee (鲍鱼鸡丝粥). The congee (or porridge depending on the texture you like) is really sweet as it is simmered in an umami stock consisting of scallops, chicken and abalone broth. It is a luxurious yet relatively light meal at the same time – definitely a wonderful dish to enjoy after a hearty reunion dinner.

Abalone Chicken Congee

49 Responses to “Abalone Chicken Congee”

1 2 3 4
  1. Pepy — January 26, 2009 @ 4:15 am

This is what I miss from Asia. Congee where I used to have fro breakfast during my student time in Bogor :)

I haven’t had abalone congee before, I should give it try.

2. Reeni — January 26, 2009 @ 5:00 am

I’ve never had the chance to try abalone. I have never seen it sold here. Your beautiful photos make it look so good. Happy Lunar New Year to you too. :D

3. mycookinghut — January 26, 2009 @ 6:16 am

Wow!! A bowl of goodness! Your congee is such a luxury dish with abalone… dried scallops!
    Gong xi fa cai! :-)

4. pigpigscorner — January 26, 2009 @ 6:36 am

Delicious! I love abalone congee!

5. diva — January 26, 2009 @ 6:39 am

indeed, this is the ultimate comfort food. looks delicious! happy chinese new year! x

6. Katie — January 26, 2009 @ 10:18 am

Are red dates a lot different than Medjool dates? I have never seen them in the store before.

• wiffy replied: — January 29th, 2009 @ 9:45 am

Thanks for the kind words and the new year wishes, everyone, I feel really touched :)

Katie, I haven’t tried Medjool dates before but I suppose they are very different ;p

Dee, you won’t be able to ruin canned abalone! ;p Yes I believe they are precooked, you just have to slice them thinly, dip in boiling water for a few minutes to warm them up (like cooking stuff in steamboat) =)

7. tigerfish — January 26, 2009 @ 11:50 am

I’ve had slices of abalone on bee hoon for lunch yesterday! We often have abalone chicken congee too :)

8. Michelle T — January 26, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

YUMMY!!! That congee looks fabulous and so authentic! I wonder if it will work with fake abolone… Thanks for the recipe!

9. lk — January 26, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy Niu Year! ;)

10. Little Corner of Mine — January 27, 2009 @ 1:12 am

Wow, so luxurious!

Gong Xi Fa Cai & Happy Ox Year!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: How to Prepare a Sumptuous Hot Pot (Steamboat) Feast 火锅 | NoobCook.com

2. Pingback: First Attempt at Congee « walk with us on this special journey..

3. Pingback: Braised Abalone With Sea Cucumber | Bai Yan Blog